About Tippie

College of Business Timeline

By one name or another, the business school has been part of Iowa since the earliest years of the university. This summary highlights the major events and decision makers who shaped the institution known today as the Henry B. Tippie College of Business.

1858

Business education begins with one course at the university. The subject of political economy, an early form of macroeconomics is taught as part of the moral philosophy course in the history department.

1866

The university advertises that practical skills gave students "a very great advantage" in beginning careers in business. The university officially encourages students to take vocational training at the Iowa City Business College and gives them scheduling flexibility to attend classes at both institutions.

1889

Isaac Althaus Loos, the first real proponent of a business program at Iowa, is hired to shape an emerging social sciences department. Loos develops political science, commerce, economics, finance and sociology into an interdisciplinary program.

1890

The bachelor's degree program in commerce gains popularity among students. The curriculum is modeled after the Wharton School.

1900

President George E. MacLean vows to make the University of Iowa the research-oriented "crown of the public school system." MacLean names Loos director of the School of Political and Social Science. The school includes political science, history, political economy, sociology, finance, and commerce.

The Graduate College is established with the first Ph.D. awarded in economics.

1908

The university approves adding commerce to the title of the school, creating the School of Political and Social Science and Commerce.

1917

Loos retires as director of the school. Norris A. Brisco, who was previously teaching "business efficiency" at City College of New York, succeeds him.

1920

Charles O. Ruggles, professor of transportation and public utilities from Ohio University, replaces Brisco as director of the school.

1921

The School of Commerce gains college status and is renamed the College of Commerce. Chester A. Phillips, professor of economics and finance, becomes the college's first dean.

Enrollment in the college is about 100 students, and there are 23 faculty members.

1923

Only two years after its elevation to college status, the College of Commerce is admitted as a member to the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).

The College of Commerce moves from the Hall of Liberal Arts to a new building on the Pentacrest, University Hall (Jessup Hall).

1935

Enrollment in the college reaches 360. It now has a faculty of 38.

1949

The Business and Industrial Placement Office is established with Helen M. Barnes as its director.

1950

Dean Chester A. Phillips retires, and Sidney G. Winter, professor of accounting, succeeds him. The college is reorganized into six departments: accounting, economics, general business, marketing, labor and management, and office management and business education.

The college's second service and research bureau, the Bureau of Labor and Management, is established and directed by Karl Leib.

1959

The college is renamed the College of Business Administration.

1961

The Master of Business Administration (MBA) program is established, becoming the 65th such program in the country. The undergraduate degree is renamed the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA).

1963

Sidney Winter resigns, and Billy L. Barnes, professor of accounting, is named dean.

1965

The college moves from University Hall to the new Phillips Hall, located on the corner of Clinton Street and Iowa Avenue. The building features the college's first computer center with an IBM mainframe, an experimental research laboratory for marketing and behavioral sciences areas of business research, and an undergraduate statistics laboratory.

1966

The college offers its first off-campus MBA degree program in the Quad Cities.

1977

The college initiates the Executive MBA Program for working professionals.

The Institute for Economic Research begins providing forecasts for the State of Iowa. The institute's data helps the governor build the state's annual budget proposals.

1978

Billy L. Barnes retires, and J. Richard Zecher, a former director of economic and policy research for the Securities and Exchange Commission and professor at Tulane and Chicago, takes over as dean of the college.

1979

The Departments of Business Education and Business Administration close. New Departments of Finance, Management and Organizations, Management Sciences, and Marketing are created.

1981

Emmett J. Vaughan, founder of the college's insurance program, is named interim dean when Zecher accepts a position with the Chase Manhattan Bank.

1984

The McGladrey Institute of Accounting Education and Research is created to encourage high-quality research by accounting faculty.

George G. Daly, professor of economics and dean of social sciences at the University of Houston, becomes dean. Daly establishes the Board of Visitors, an advisory group of business and government leaders, to help the college stay in touch with changing conditions and needs.

1988

Three faculty from the Department of Economics introduce the Iowa Electronic Markets (IEM), a teaching and research tool for understanding financial market behavior.

University approves International Business Certificate.

1990

The state approves the budget for a new building for the college. Much of the $35 million project is funded by private donations.

1992

Des Moines venture capitalist John Pappajohn, BSC 1952, provides a significant naming gift for the state-of-the-art college facility.

1993

The MBA program unifies its efforts under a new name, the School of Management. The school institutes higher admission standards and strengthens recruiting.

George Daly resigns to become dean of the Stern School of Business at New York University. Gary C. Fethke, serving as interim dean, completes the college's move into the John Pappajohn Business Administration Building. With 171,000 square feet, it is the largest academic building on campus, and its integrated use of technology becomes a model for teaching facilities at the university and beyond.

1994

Gary C. Fethke becomes dean of the college.

Gifts from Henry Royer and Henry B. Tippie create the Henry Fund, an endowed equity portfolio managed by select MBA students.

The Evening MBA Program enrollment continues to grow rapidly through the use of distance learning technology and the Iowa Communications Network. The college opens new centers in Newton and Cedar Rapids.

1996

John Pappajohn provides financial support for the John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center, which offers programs that instill the principles of entrepreneurship.

1997

The business library is named the Marvin A. Pomerantz Business Library.

University approves new Certificate in Entrepreneurship.

1998

To further support technology in the classroom, the college creates the Jerre and Mary Joy Stead Advanced Learning Technologies Center. The Stead Center works with staff, students, and faculty to teach a wide range of applications. A wireless LAN allows students to use laptop computers in various locations throughout the building.

Stanley M. Howe, chairman emeritus of the HON Industries Inc. of Muscatine, pledges $2.5 million to support the college's Evening MBA Program.

The newly created Early Admission Program admits approximately 50 top first-year students directly into the college each year.

Undergraduates get real-world portfolio management experience through the new Krause Fund, endowed by W.A. (Bill) Krause.

Faculty Research Fellowship Program established, providing much-needed salary support to tenure-track faculty members. Currently, 27 fellowships are held within the college. In addition, 5 faculty members hold chaired professorships and another 20 hold named professorships.

MBA Program expands and offers course work in Des Moines.

1999

The college is the first academic division in the university to be named in honor of an alumnus. The Henry B. Tippie College of Business is named for the 1949 accounting graduate from Belle Plaine, Iowa. His long-time support and significant gifts culminate in naming the college in his honor.

Named in honor of H. John Hawkinson, the Hawkinson Institute of Business Finance provides top undergraduate students with access to prestigious investment banks and other financial service firms.

The Institute of International Business is established to enhance the growth of international business education.

2000

Tippie School of Management and Iowa State University College of Engineering introduce Dual Master's Degree Program leading to UI MBA degree and ISU master's degree in systems engineering.

2001

The Business Communications Center is established. (In 2006, it was renamed the Judith R. Frank Business Communications Center.)

2002

The Executive MBA Program expands into Des Moines with classes offered in the Stanley M. Howe Leadership Complex of the W.A. Krause Center for Entrepreneurial Education.

International Executive MBA Program in Beijing offered (in conjunction with Purdue University) to help build China's agribusiness industry while strengthening ties between Iowa and the world's fastest growing economy.

2003

Through a multi-million dollar pledge, Jerre and Mary Joy Stead support a number of initiatives, including an endowed faculty chair in leadership to be named in honor of Gary Fethke and support for technology in the college.

Young Alumni Board is established.

2004

Insurance institute established.

2005

The first class of students graduates from the two-year Tippie International Executive MBA Program in Hong Kong.

Des Moines businessman Marvin Pomerantz, BSC 1952, provides a lead gift of $10 million for the building of the Pomerantz Center. This $17.6 million, 75,000-square-foot facility offers admissions, advising, and career services activities for undergraduate business, engineering, and liberal arts students in one of the nation's only university facilities dedicated to enhancing students' total education experience—from admission to graduation and beyond.

The Insurance Institute is renamed the Emmett J. Vaughan Institute of Risk Management and Insurance to honor Vaughan's pivotal role in the industry.

Evening MBA Program changes name to MBA for Professionals and Managers (MBA-PM) to better describe the nature of its students.

The Bedell Entrepreneurship Learning Laboratory is established to help students turn an idea into a viable, profitable business.

2006

William C. (Curt) Hunter, is named the college's new dean, and Fethke returns to the faculty as the Leonard A. Hadley Professor of Leadership. Fethke later was tapped to serve as interim UI president from June 2006 to July 2007.

University approves new Certificate in Risk Management and Insurance, offered through the Department of Finance and the Vaughan Institute.

The Communications Center is renamed the Judith R. Frank Business Communications Center in recognition of Judith R. and Harris Frank's $2.5 million gift to expand programming.

2007

Students take on the largest Tippie community service project ever, raising $50,000 and building a Habitat for Humanity home in just 57 days.

The Business Solutions Center opens. MBA student teams work to solve real business problems for area businesses.

The Richard O. Jacobson Institute for Youth Entrepreneurship is established from a $3 million gift from Richard O. Jacobson, providing entrepreneurship instruction and practice for K-12 students.

2008

The University of Iowa becomes the credit- and degree-granting institution for the Consortium of Universities for International Studies, which provides an undergraduate study abroad opportunity as well as an international MBA at the Consortium Institute for Management and Business Analysis (CIMBA) headquartered in Asolo, Italy.

Tippie College of Business celebrates 150 years of business education at the University of Iowa.

2009

The Tippie MBA program refreshes its curriculum and launches career academies. The Finance, Marketing, and Strategic Innovation Academies are designed to offer Full-time MBA students structured academic experiences as well as experiential learning opportunities that prepare them for their chosen careers.

Because of demand, the MBA-PM Program relocates to larger facilities in downtown Cedar Rapids.

The Marketing Institute is established to help prepare undergraduate students for challenging entry-level positions in today's competitive marketing environment.

2010

Tippie School of Management partners with the CFA Institute to help MBA finance students prepare for careers as Chartered Financial Analysts.

The John and Mary Pappajohn Education Center becomes the new home for the MBA-PM Program in Des Moines. In addition, the MBA-PM Program in the Quad Cities moves to space in the Palmer College of Chiropractic in Davenport.

An online resource, the Iowa Center for Wealth Management is created by two finance faculty members to provide unbiased financial education, guidance, and advice to the citizens of Iowa and beyond.

2012

Sarah Fisher Gardial is named the college's first female dean. She previously was the vice provost of the University of Tennnesee, Knoxville.

The Board of Visitors, the college's advisory group of business and government leaders, is renamed the Tippie Advisory Board.

 

 

Isaac Loos

Isaac Althaus Loos

 

 

Chester Phillips

Dean Chester A. Phillips

 

 

Sidney Winter

Dean Sidney G. Winter

 

 

Dean Billy L. Barnes

 

 

Bill Barnes

Helen M. Barnes

 

 

Richard Zecher
 Dean J. Richard Zecher

 

 

George Daly
Dean George G. Daly

 

 

Gary Fethke
 Dean Gary C. Fethke

 

 

Curt Hunter
  Dean William C. (Curt) Hunter

 

 

Sarah Fisher Gardial

Dean Sarah Fisher Gardial