Admission Guidelines for the M.Ac. Program
Admission to the M.Ac. Program requires acceptance to the Graduate College. The Graduate College requires a grade-point average (GPA) of 3.0/4.0 or better for admission. A student must apply to the Graduate College before a M.Ac. application will be considered.
Candidates are evaluated according to a variety of factors including, but not limited to, a student’s resume, Statement of Purpose (Item E on the Application for Graduate Admission), test scores (GMAT and TOEFL if required), undergraduate academic record (transcripts), and letters of reference.
All applicants to the M.Ac. Program must submit Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores. The minimum allowable GMAT score is 550 with at least 50% on the verbal portion. Applicants whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The minimum acceptable TOEFL score is 600 on the paper-based test, 250 on the computer-based test, or 100 on the Internet-based test. Note that this requirement is higher than that of the Graduate College. The IELTS test may be substituted for the TOEFL. The minimum allowable IELTS score is 7.0 with non sub-score below 6.0.
In order to apply to the M.Ac. Program, an applicant must perform the following steps:
- Read Frequently Asked Questions. The FAQ contains a great deal of important information and will help greatly during the application process.
- Review the deadlines. Be sure you know what session you are applying for and when the deadlines are.
Applications are reviewed on these dates regardless of a student’s session of application. Only applications that are considered "complete" will be reviewed (see FAQ for a definition of a "complete" application). Admission to the M.Ac. Program is very competitive and an early application can be important. Students who wait until near the deadlines are sometimes denied.
- Take the GMAT and TOEFL tests (if required) and have your scores sent to the University of Iowa. Please be aware that it can take up to two weeks for your official scores to be delivered to the University of Iowa after you take your test(s). Schedule your test(s) early.
- Fill out the Application for Graduate Admission and pay your fee. Your application will not be processed until your fee is received. You must apply to the Graduate College in order for your M.Ac. application to be considered.
- Create your username and password in ISIS.
- Prepare your current resume and write your Statement of Purpose (This is item E on the Application for Graduate Admission). This statement should be written on a plain piece of paper. Upload these documents to your application.
- Have transcripts from your entire undergraduate career sent directly to the Office of Admissions. If you are a University of Iowa student, you do not need to have transcripts sent. When your application file is created, your transcript will automatically be downloaded to your application.
- List the names and emails of three (3) recommenders in ISIS. Undergraduate accounting majors at the University of Iowa do not need to provide letters of reference.
- Complete and upload the Area of Specialization Designation form.
- Fill out and upload the M.Ac. Scholarship Application.