English Language Discussion Circles
Our English Language Discussion Circles provide a relaxed environment for international students to improve their conversation skills by speaking with American students. The ELDC are led by tutors from the Judith R. Frank Business Communication Center and are centered on weekly discussion topics.
Topics are chosen to explore American culture and practices. International students will improve their English language skills and American students will find it a perfect place to interact with international students to learn more about their cultures and to prepare for international experiences.
Circles meet during the fall and spring terms on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. in S126 Pappajohn Business Building. Tuesdays and Thursdays offer an alternative format where students will play language games, engage in activities, or watch short TV programs to learn about American culture and improve language skills. Students can come for all or part of the hour and can bring their lunch.
Our topics for the Spring 2016 semester are as follows:
- Week of January 25th: Small talk and food and dining out
- Week of February 1st: Super Bowl Sunday
- Week of February 8th: Lunar New Year
- Week of February 15th: Jobs and Internships
- Week of February 22nd: Movies and TV
- Week of February 29th: Health, Well-being, and Campus Safety
- Week of March 7th: Spring Break
- Week of March 21st: Technology and your Favorite/Most Used Apps and Games
- Week of March 28th: Pets and Hobbies
- Week of April 4th: Grandparents, Ancestors, and Heritage
- Week of April 11th: Taxes and Personal Finance
- Week of April 18th: Nature and Outdoor Activities
- Week of April 25th: Books
- Week of May 2nd: Graduation and Summer Plans
For more information contact Assistant Director, Ryan Sheets, at email@example.com.