Oral Communications/Speaking Appointments
The Frank Business Communications Center is devoted to improving not only the written but also the oral communication skills of Tippie undergraduates. Students can designate appointments to work on oral presentations, or to practice their speeches or multimedia presentations—either individually or in small groups. Schedule a half-hour appointment just as you would schedule a writing appointment—on the appointment form the first questions is appointment type, choose speaking assignment, or if you it is a group presentation, choose group assignment. All oral communications appointments are held in S126 PBB, the designated speaking practice space for the Judith R. Frank Business Communications Center.
- Dry-run practice performance of presentations (30-minute sessions where a presentation is practiced and feedback given on delivery skills, content, organization, and slides)
- One-on-one practice regarding your speaking/presentation skills
Through meeting with our staff, students will develop:
- Strategies for dealing with speech fright or public speaking anxiety
- Evaluation and development of delivery skills
- Analysis and development of PowerPoint slides
- Strategies for speakers whose first language is not English
This site contains practical tips for different types of business presentations, including proposals, pitches, and technical briefings. There is also information about using visual aids effectively.
The Pomerantz Career Center's guide to interviewing contains a wealth of information about successful interviewing.
The University of Iowa's Speaking Center provides tutoring and other resources to help you improve your oral communication skills.
This link is an online talking dictionary. If you aren't sure how to pronounce a word, type it in and hear it pronounced.
This site addresses how to avoid common problems in PowerPoint presentations.