How Hawkinson Works with Students
Each year, approximately 20 top undergraduate students, primarily finance majors, are chosen to be Hawkinson Scholars. They are selected on the basis of academic performance, leadership, professional potential, and interpersonal skills. We then work with these students through the remainder of their academic careers to develop and prepare them for challenging opportunities upon graduation.
- Hawkinson educates students about investment banking and related fields (capital markets, sales and trading, private equity, hedge funds, consulting) in a closed class taught by former investment bankers.
- We provide guest speakers to highlight career options in various financial services sectors and to teach students what they will actually do in each of these industries. Recent classes have included:
- Overview of an M&A transaction, including timeline, valuation, and analyst roles and responsibilities.
- Overview of the current private equity market, including how to choose good LBO candidates and how to structure and complete deals.
- "A Day in the Life" of a trader.
- We create internship opportunities with relevant firms to augment Hawkinson Scholars' classroom learning.
- We offer students specialized career guidance to develop the "soft" skills that improve their competitiveness in the marketplace.