The History of the Hawkinson Institute
The institute is named after H. John Hawkinson, a 1936 graduate of the University of Iowa's College of Business. Hawkinson was born on May 25, 1912. He grew up in Iowa during the Great Depression and worked hard to finance his college education. After graduation, Hawkinson pursued a career in investment banking in Chicago with the firm, Hasley, Stuart and Company, but left the company for a period of time to serve in World War II. He returned to Hasley, Stuart on the completion of his term of service.
Hawkinson was successful in business, eventually moving his career to Central Life Assurance in Des Moines and finally to Supervised Investment Services (SIS), a mutual fund management company. SIS generated favorable investment performance through the creation of new and diverse mutual funds, and was eventually acquired by Kemper Corporation. With the acquisition, Hawkinson was appointed president of Kemper, a position he served until his retirement in 1977.
Hawkinson was a life member of the UI Alumni Association and received the university's Distinguished Alumnus Award in 1988.
The institute receives advice and counsel from its advisory board, which includes the following members: Keith Cook, Michael Keough, Sharon Kress, Tim Larsen, Jim Ledinsky, Judy Lefferdink, Diane Morain, Missy Morain, and Robert Sherman.
Today, the institute is devoted to promoting students' career opportunities in the financial service industry with a specific focus in investment banking, consulting, sales and trading, and corporate finance.