Pursuing your MBA is about investing in and managing your career. The MBA Career Services team is your partner in the ongoing process of career management, and will work with you to:
- Identify areas of personal and professional development, volunteering, and leadership
- Provide tools for you to be successful in creating and managing your career plan
- Strengthen your resume to document your value proposition for your current or future roles
- Leverage your experience and your MBA to advance and grow
- Give you the confidence to take your next step, including goal setting and planning
The Tippie MBA Career Guide
- A convenient handbook that provides a framework for increasing your understanding of how to manage your career and the steps and preparation associated with the process. Download the guide.
MBAFocus Online Recruiting System
is an important part of your toolkit for career management. Use this comprehensive tool to
look up alumni by company and browse MBA job listings, as well as access to various job search tools including:
- Beyond B-School - This tool provides useful tutorials on LinkedIn profile writing, building your brand, and more. Click here for instant access.
- GoingGlobal - A comprehensive, subscription-based job search
website site, specific to MBAFocus.
- Interview Stream - Multimedia interviewing preparation tool; record and critique your interviewing abilities.
- Career Shift - Streamline and manage your job search in a systematic way.
- Career Insider - In-depth career and industry insights to determine a match between your skills and employment opportunities.
- First-time users need to contact us to activate your MBAFocus account. Email email@example.com with your request.
- LinkedIn: Learn how to create, refine, and enhance the content of your LinkedIn profile. Download: Guide
Tools for Resume and Cover Letter Writing
- Professional MBA Resume Template: A one-page resume template with a focus on experience. Can be adapted to any
- Cover letter sample: Can be adapted to accompany a resume, letter of inquiry, or professional portfolio.
- Resume Sample - Reverse Chronological/Traditional (1 page and 2 page formats): Sample resume including an overview of education, experience, and skills. Professionals
with less than 8 years of experience should shoot for one page; those with 8+ years can
expand to two pages.
Download: 1 Page Format, 2 Page Format
- Resume Sample - Functional Resume: Groups skill sets into categories. Best for candidates transitioning from one field
to another or re-entering the workplace after a gap in employment.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) Sample: Best for professional experience focused on education, research, and related academic
activities. Commonly used outside the U.S.
- Power Verb List: Use this extensive list to build powerful and effective resume bullet points.
Maybe you've identified a goal - a promotion, a new job, changing careers altogether, or becoming a better networker. Perhaps you're not sure what your next goal should be. Tippie's Career Coaches can help. Contact us to set up a 25-minute conversation and let us guide you on next steps to create and achieve your career goals.
- Call our office at 800-MBA-IOWA or email firstname.lastname@example.org to be connected with a MBA Career Coach or to schedule an appointment.
When something comes naturally, it doesn't come to mind very often. But emphasizing your strengths is important on your resume and in your "pitch" to employers, whether it's your current employer (for a promotion) or a job interview.
- The Career Leader assessment identifies strengths and areas for opportunity, so you know what to emphasize and where to focus your efforts for improvement. Pointing out what you do better than the competition will help to set you apart from the rest.
- To access the Harvard Career Leader (no cost, one time only) please contact the Tippie Career Services with your request at email@example.com.
University of Iowa Events
Go beyond MBA-specific events to network and expand your perspective. The University of Iowa has opportunities around the country and the world. Explore these opportunities at the links below.
View our monthly newsletters below to find out upcoming events, updates and more! In addition, we ask that you email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Career Services Webinar Series
Discover content from our webinars:
Leveraging Your MBA: Move On or Move Up- Whether you are happy where you are or are thinking of your future, let us help you leverage your MBA. Learn the strategies of managing your career, be proactive (rather than reactive) in your strategic plan, and leave the session being able to answer the question, "What will you do with that MBA once you graduate?
Using Your Brand for Strategic Success- Focuses on the knowledge of your value proposition. Take a look at your personal brand and find out what makes you unique. Join us to discover how to create a brand, manage your brand, update it, and utilize it in your current role.Go beyond MBA-specific events to network and expand your perspective.
Strategic Networking- Every good marketer knows her or his customer. The same holds true for networking: it's all about the other person. Learn how to apply the 5 Marketing P's to Successful Networking, the strategy behind planning for successful networking events and how to utilize the strength of your personality.
Putting It All Together- In a December 2014 LinkedIn article, Todd Palmer reveals that 85% of jobs are not posted.This revelation is in line with earlier studies, which means that someone in your network could ask you for a cover letter and resume tomorrow for a job that is a perfect fit. Are you ready? When was the last time you updated your MBA resume? Does your LinkedIn Profile reflect your brand accurately? Do you know the etiquette of email cover letters? Watch this webinar to learn how to update your marketing materials for potential offers, performance reviews, and networking conversations.