Pursuing your MBA is about investing in and managing your career. We offer a range of resources and services which are accessible to you.
The Tippie MBA Career Guide
A convenient handbook that provides a framework for increasing your understanding of how to manage your career and the steps and preparation associated with the process. Download the guide.
MBAFocus Online Recruiting System
is an important part of your toolkit for career management. Use this comprehensive tool to
look up alumni by company and browse MBA job listings, as well as access to various job search tools including:
- Beyond B-School - This tool provides useful tutorials on LinkedIn profile writing, building your brand, and more. Click here for instant access.
- GoingGlobal - A comprehensive, subscription-based job search
website site, specific to MBAFocus.
- Interview Stream - Multimedia interviewing preparation tool; record and critique your interviewing abilities.
- Career Shift - Streamline and manage your job search in a systematic way.
- Career Insider - In-depth career and industry insights to determine a match between your skills and employment opportunities.
- First-time users need to contact us to activate your MBAFocus account. Email email@example.com with your request.
- LinkedIn: Learn how to create, refine, and enhance the content of your LinkedIn profile. Download: Guide
Tools for Resume and Cover Letter Writing
- Professional MBA Resume Template: A one-page resume template with a focus on experience. Can be adapted to any
Download: Template and/or Why The Tippie Template? (webinar)
- Cover letter sample: Can be adapted to accompany a resume, letter of inquiry, or professional portfolio.
- Resume Sample - Reverse Chronological/Traditional (1 page and 2 page formats): Sample resume including an overview of education, experience, and skills. Professionals
with less than 8 years of experience should shoot for one page; those with 8+ years can
expand to two pages.
Download: 1 Page Format, 2 Page Format
- Resume Sample - Functional Resume: Groups skill sets into categories. Best for candidates transitioning from one field
to another or re-entering the workplace after a gap in employment.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) Sample: Best for professional experience focused on education, research, and related academic
activities. Commonly used outside the U.S.
- Power Verb List: Use this extensive list to build powerful and effective resume bullet points.
Maybe you've identified a goal - a promotion, a new job, changing careers altogether, or becoming a better networker. Perhaps you're not sure what your next goal should be. Tippie's PMBA Career Coaches can help.
- Call our office at 319-335-0556 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to be connected with a PMBA Career Coach or to schedule an appointment.
When something comes naturally, it doesn't come to mind very often. But emphasizing your strengths is important on your resume and in your "pitch" to employers, whether it's your current employer (for a promotion) or a job interview.
- The Career Leader assessment identifies strengths and areas for opportunity, so you know what to emphasize and where to focus your efforts for improvement. Pointing out what you do better than the competition will help to set you apart from the rest.
- To access the Harvard Career Leader (no cost, one time only) please contact the PMBA Career Services with your request at email@example.com.
University of Iowa Events
Go beyond MBA-specific events to network and expand your perspective. The University of Iowa has opportunities around the country and the world. Explore these opportunities at the links below.
Career Services Webinar Series
Discover content from our webinars:
Leveraging Your MBA: Move On or Move Up- Whether you are happy where you are or are thinking of your future, let us help you leverage your MBA. Learn the strategies of managing your career, be proactive (rather than reactive) in your strategic plan, and leave the session being able to answer the question, "What will you do with that MBA once you graduate?
Using Your Brand for Strategic Success- Focuses on the knowledge of your value proposition. Take a look at your personal brand and find out what makes you unique. Join us to discover how to create a brand, manage your brand, update it, and utilize it in your current role.Go beyond MBA-specific events to network and expand your perspective.
Strategic Networking- Every good marketer knows her or his customer. The same holds true for networking: it's all about the other person. Learn how to apply the 5 Marketing P's to Successful Networking, the strategy behind planning for successful networking events and how to utilize the strength of your personality.
Putting It All Together- In a December 2014 LinkedIn article, Todd Palmer reveals that 85% of jobs are not posted.This revelation is in line with earlier studies, which means that someone in your network could ask you for a cover letter and resume tomorrow for a job that is a perfect fit. Are you ready? When was the last time you updated your MBA resume? Does your LinkedIn Profile reflect your brand accurately? Do you know the etiquette of email cover letters? Watch this webinar to learn how to update your marketing materials for potential offers, performance reviews, and networking conversations.
Networking Confidentially - Once you are seen having a casual conversation over coffee with the boss, assumptions immediately flare that you are job searching. How can you network without getting the office-gossip-kid involved? What are the strategies to keep things confidential? Networking is STILL the #1 way of leveraging your career but how can it be done on the down-low? In this concise video, we will discuss how to strategically utilize allies, acquaintances and advocates. We will create a timeline for execution and learn the bottom line when it comes to being the 'James Bond of Networking'.
Workplace Advancement - You are investing your time, education and brain power, now how do you apply this new information at your place of work? Advancing in your workplace doesn't necessarily mean climbing a ladder nor creating an exit strategy. Learn how to put your company's needs first and show your commitment in a way that complements your personality style. Understand how a social media presence does NOT mean that you are seeking a job and find out the best ways to use your executive presence to help you reach your career goals.
Behavioral Interviews - It is a given that you will come across a behavioral based interview question at some point in your career. Employers and hiring managers use these types of questions in order to get an idea if you have the skills and competencies needed for the job. The rationale is that your past behavior predicts your future behavior. But basically, people remember stories and anecdotes and that's how you can stand out against your competition. The problem is most candidates might have a general idea of how to answer these questions, but the answers usually come out way too long and unfocused, and won't put the candidate in the best light. We'll discuss the top 5 Essential Tips for a Successful Behavioral Interview, explain the major format for success and discus some common categories that are covered to put some calm to your storm of questions.
Meet the Team
Beth Knudson & Shannon Christensen
Both can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org OR 319-335-0556