Billing and Payment Options
The University Billing Office manages billing and payment issues. Contact the office at 800-943-4557. Many answers are also available on the University Billing Office Common Questions webpage.
Your university bill (U-bill) is available for viewing on ISIS approximately June 1 for summer session, August 1 for fall semester, December 1 for winter session, and January 1 for spring semester. To pay this bill, choose one of the following payment options.
- Pay "Balance in Full" with initial bill, due approximately the 22nd of the month (see U-bill for exact due date).
- Deferred Payment Plan
- Pay one-third of tuition and fees over three months (fall and spring semesters) or one-half of tuition and fees over two months (summer session). Approximate due dates:
Fall: August 22, September 22, October 22
Spring: January 22, February 22, March 22
Summer: June 22, July 22
- A $20 deferred payment fee per semester ($15 for summer session) is added to the U-bill.
- If you make only the minimum periodic payment, you are automatically enrolled in this plan and will be assessed the deferred payment fee on the last billing statement.
- If you do not make at least the minimum periodic payment by the stated due date, a fee of $25 will be assessed each month.
- Employer Deferment
- If you receive tuition reimbursement from your employer, you can request to have the payment of your tuition deferred until the next U-bill cycle. Approximate due dates:
|Deferral Beginning in
|Fall (including Intersession)
|Spring (including Intersession)
- To qualify, complete the Employer Reimbursement Deferred Payment Agreement Form found on the University Billing Office payment options webpage under the Employer Deferment section. Both you and your employer must complete it. Return it to the University Billing Office.
- The deferred payment form is valid for an academic year (for example, June 2009-May 2010).
- The employer portion of the form is to ensure that there is a tuition reimbursement policy at the company, and this form does not change the company policy. The form clearly states that the student, not the employer, is always liable for the tuition; companies will not be billed.
- A $35 fee will be added to your U-bill each semester you participate in this plan.
- Your semester's U-bill will be posted as usual prior to the beginning of the semester, but payment of tuition charges will be due per the table above.
- Only tuition charges are eligible for deferred payment. Other charges of fees, such as International Program fees, course material fees, etc., are not deferrable, and will be due as usual.
- Deferment forms should be received and processed prior to the first bill of the semester as listed above. However, to accommodate those who might be registered after the first billing cycle, the absolute deadline will be extended to the due date of the first U-bill you receive in a semester. Please note: If the deferment form is not received by the due date, a reinstatement fee of $25 could be assessed to your account and would be due in addition to the employer deferment fee of $35.
- Automated automatic checking/savings account deduction—Log in to ISIS (the UI Student Information System at isis.uiowa.edu. After reviewing your U-bill online, click the "Pay U-bill" button and provide your bank information as instructed. You may select the one-time payment option or the recurring payment option. Choosing "ACH Deduct" will deduct the funds from your bank account. The "Payroll Deduct" option is for University of Iowa or UIHC employees only. The full balance due or the minimum balance due can be deducted through this program.
- By mail—Payments may be mailed to the processing center. Personal checks, cashiers checks, and money orders are accepted. Mail to University of Iowa, Payment Processing Center, PO Box 222, Des Moines, IA 50940. Please allow a minimum of five business days for payment processing.
- In person—University of Iowa Community Credit Union IMU Branch. Hours are 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday. A dropbox for after-hours payment is located outside of Room 3 Jessup Hall.
Note: The university does not accept payment by credit cards. (Credit card companies would charge the university a fee of approximately 2% of the amount paid by credit card. This fee cannot be passed on to the consumer, thereby reducing net tuition and fees available to cover operating costs. This would lead to tuition/fee increases simply to cover the cost related to the credit card fee.)
For additional billing and payment details, see the University Billing Office's Payment Options page.
Obtaining a Receipt for Employer Reimbursement
You may email the University Billing Office to receive a statement regarding your payments. Please specify the semester for which you are seeking reimbursement as well as any specific instructions your employer requests. The University Billing Office will provide you a statement on University of Iowa letterhead indicating the tuition and fees that have been assessed and paid during the requested period. This statement will be mailed to your current residing address.