Study Abroad Conditions of Participation
As a participant in a University of Iowa-sponsored study abroad program, I acknowledge and agree to the following:
I. Health & Accident Insurance
Traveling and living abroad involves some personal risk. While serious medical emergencies are rare, you must
consider the possibility and make appropriate provisions for it. Health care services vary by country, and health
insurance policies vary considerably in their coverage. Make sure that your health insurance policy is adequate for
the country you will be living in! (Information about health insurance policies for students traveling overseas is
available from Study Abroad.)
- I acknowledge the risks associated with studying and traveling abroad, and I authorize the University of Iowa, its authorized representative(s) or the program coordinator at the host institution, to secure any medical treatment
determined to be necessary under the circumstances.
- I acknowledge that such treatment shall be solely at my expense.
- I confirm that a physician has approved of my participation in this program, or that I agree to accept the risk of my participation without such approval.
- I confirm that I have health and accident insurance coverage for the duration of my stay abroad (including travel
to and from my destination), and that it is my responsibility to insure the adequacy of the coverage.
II. Personal Conduct
Within our own cultural context, we generally know what conduct is expected of us. Travelers in foreign cultures,
however, often find themselves in situations where the appropriate behavior is not immediately obvious to them. The
term â€œUgly Americanâ€� was coined long ago to describe one possible, and all too frequent, reaction to encountering
cultural differencesâ€”riding roughshod over them. It is the University of Iowaâ€™s expectation that your conduct be
appropriate to the culture and country you are visiting.
- I will strive to understand and respect the cultural differences that I encounter.
- I will observe the laws of the country in which I will be residing and all academic and disciplinary regulations in effect at the host institution.
- As a degree candidate at the University of Iowa, I will also continue to adhere to the Universityâ€™s Code of Student Life.
III. Academic Conduct
Studying abroad is in most cases an unusually fruitful academic endeavor. While some programs operate according
to the U.S. model of higher education, others require students to adapt to a foreign educational system. Roles,
expectations and responsibilities can be markedly different.
- I will maintain a full course load while abroad, and take full responsibility for my performance in those classes.
- For students conducting independent research for credit: I take full responsibility to conduct the research agreed upon in advance, and to produce the final product (e.g. paper) required for my work to be evaluated and credit
IV. Financial Obligations
- I am aware of the costs associated with this program, and I agree to pay the required fees according to the programâ€™s fee schedule. (Students who receive financial aid may be able to make arrangements with the Office of Student Financial Aid for the temporary deferral of a portion of their payment.)
- I acknowledge and accept the academic and financial consequences of withdrawing voluntarily from the program and/or returning home prior to the conclusion of the program.
V. Agreement & Release
WHEREAS, I, herein after referred to as Student, am about to take part in a program described as the:
Tippie School of Management (Tippie) Global Learning Opportunity (GLO); and,
WHEREAS, it is acknowledged that said travel and study program involves some risk to person and property, including but not limited to the risk of injury due to accident and disease; and
WHEREAS, it is acknowledged that said travel and study program may be the occasion of medical emergency necessitating the administration of medical treatment including hospitalization or surgery;
,P.NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of said student being permitted to participate in said travel and study program, I do
hereby, for myself, my heirs, administrators, and executors, and the undersigned as parent, parents, or guardian of said
Student, do for ourselves and for and on behalf of said Student, all acknowledge and assume the risk of such travel and study
program, and do hereby release and forever discharge the State of Iowa, State Board of Regents, and the State University of
Iowa, (all entities hereinafter referred to as IOWA), and all of their officers, faculty, employees, volunteers, and agents
whether accompanying said program or otherwise, from any and all claims, demands, actions, or causes of action, on
account of any injury to me or my property, on account of my death, or on account of damages suffered by me for whatever
reasons, which may occur from any cause, including negligence, or in connection with said travel and study program or any continuances thereof; and we do hereby expressly covenant and agree to refrain from bringing suit or proceedings at law orin equity or otherwise as provided by law, against any of said bodies or persons on account of any and all such claims, demands, actions, or causes of action. I voluntarily assume these risks. I have read and understand the program description. This document is executed with full knowledge of its signature.
If my parents or guardian have not signed this form, I represent and certify that I am not a minor.