Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I apply for admission?
- What are the requirements for admission to the Professional MBA Program? How are candidates assessed for admission?
- What are the characteristics of the average Professional MBA student?
- What do I need to do to get started?
- When should I apply? What are the application deadlines?
- If it is past the general deadline, is it too late for me to apply?
- Can I take courses before being formally admitted to the program?
- Is the Professional MBA Program accredited?
- How will I be notified of the admissions decision?
- How can I receive more information about the Professional MBAProgram?
- Does the Professional MBA Program require an undergraduate degree in business? Are certain undergraduate majors favored for admission?
- I want to begin classes next semester. What should I do if I don't have enough time to complete the formal application process?
- How do I submit my application? What materials are required?
- Do I need to send all the application materials in together?
- How is the Professional MBA Program different from the Full-time and Executive MBA programs?
- Who should my recommendations be from?
- What is the personal essay question?
- How long should my essay be?
- How long will it take to receive a decision regarding my application?
- Are there courses I need to complete before entering the Professional MBA Program?
- Does the Professional MBA Program accept transfer credits? Can I waive out of a course?
- What is the Professional MBA Program's approach to learning?
- How long will it take to complete the program?
- How many classes/credits can I take in a semester?
- Can I specialize or choose an area of concentration?
- What is the time commitment outside of class?
- Where are classes held? When do classes meet?
- Does the Professional MBA Program offer online courses?
- Can international students apply to the Professional MBA Program?
- What are the admission requirements for students educated outside the United States?
- Is the TOEFL required?
- Is financial aid available for international students?
How do I apply for admission?
Interested applicants may apply for admission to the Professional MBA Program by submitting their completed application, current resume, transcripts, and personal essay answers to the appropriate offices for consideration. See Apply for Admission for more information on the application process.
What are the requirements for admission to the Professional MBA Program? How are candidates assessed for admission?
To be considered for admission to the Professional MBA Program, applicants should have a minimum of 18 months of professional work experience, have exhibited leadership skills, and have a strong academic history. Interviews are not required; however, the admissions committee may request an interview to assist in reviewing an applicant's admission. For more specific information, see Apply for Admission. Students may be conditionally admitted and required by the School of Management to demonstrate their ability to do satisfactory graduate work.
What are the characteristics of the average Professional MBA student?
The Professional MBA Program attracts some of the brightest professionals in the area. The average age of a Professional MBA student is 31. Students admitted to the program have an average undergrad GPA of 3.3 and an average GMAT score of 580.
What do I need to do to get started?
Formal applications can be submitted at any time for admission into the program. Or, students may be approved to take up to five (5) courses as a nondegree-seeking student in a PreMBA status by submitting a current resume and a copy of their academic transcript(s). More details can be found about full admission and PreMBA approval on the Starting Options page.
When should I apply? What are the application deadlines?
Applications are accepted for summer, fall, and spring admission. Current deadlines are listed in the Apply for Admission section of our website.
If it is past the general deadline, is it too late for me to apply?
You can still submit your application. However, we cannot guarantee course availability. You may also consider starting as a PreMBA student.
Can I take courses before being formally admitted to the program?
Applicants may be approved as a PreMBA student to enroll in up to three courses within a 12-month time frame before they are required to formally apply to the program.
Is the Professional MBA Program accredited?
Yes. The Henry B. Tippie School of Management at the University of Iowa has been a member of the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) since 1923. The AACSB is the premier accrediting agency utilizing peer review to maintain the top standards in the delivery of business education.
How can I receive more information about the Professional MBA Program?
You can request more information by filling out our Information Request Form or by attending an Professional MBA Information Reception.
Does the Professional MBA Program require an undergraduate degree in business? Are certain undergraduate majors favored for admission?
The Professional MBA Program does not require students to have an undergraduate degree in business and no undergrad major is considered preferable to others. The program is appropriate for any professional who wants to develop his/her managerial and leadership skills. Prerequisite courses are not required for students who have not earned a business degree.
I want to begin classes next semester. What should I do if I don't have enough time to complete the formal application process?
You may want to consider beginning as a PreMBA student.
How do I submit my application? What materials are required?
You may apply online by going to Apply for Admission and clicking on "Apply Now." Be sure to read the instructions and download the checklist to ensure your application is complete.
How is the Professional MBA Program different from the Full-time and Executive MBA programs?
The Professional MBA is tailored for employed professionals who want maximum flexibility in location and course sequencing. Customized curriculum enables focus in key areas for career enhancement. Students in all University of Iowa MBA programs receive the same degree/diploma and learn from the same distinguished faculty. For further comparison of MBA programs, see Compare Programs.
Who should my recommendations be from?
Your recommendations should come from someone who is acquainted with the scope and quality of your academic or professional achievements. Your managers, coworkers, and former teachers are excellent sources.
How long will it take to receive a decision regarding my application?
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Once all application materials have been received by the appropriate offices, you can expect to receive a reply by mail.
Are there courses I need to complete before entering the Professional MBA Program?
We build foundation courses into the curriculum so that no prerequisite courses are necessary before students are admitted to the program.
Does the Professional MBA Program accept transfer credits? Can I waive out of a course?
Prior to admission, students may apply up to 9 semester hours of transfer credit provided that the following requirements are met: 1) the course is completed in an MBA program accredited by AACSB, 2) the course was not used to fulfill the requirements of another degree, and 3) the course grade earned is a B or better (3.0 on a 4.0 scale).
If it is not possible to transfer credit into the Professional MBA Program, it may be possible to be granted waivers for certain core courses. An admitted student may be allowed to waive a core course if the student has completed a master's degree or significant undergraduate course work in a given field of study. Academic records will be reviewed upon admission for granting of waivers. Waiver of course work does not reduce credit hours required for the degree. Students must still complete the 45-semester-hour (15-course) program requirement.
What is the Professional MBA Program's approach to learning?
The program utilizes faculty presentations, team projects, and active, in-class discussion to build upon your experience. The program combines academic study with hands-on learning to help students climb to the next level. In an increasingly competitive global market, the program provides the training, tools, vision, and skills to accelerate your career. We utilize individual and team learning to cultivate the diverse experiences and backgrounds of our students and merge them with the development of competencies in general management skills, key functional areas of business, and elective courses tailored to individual career goals.
How long will it take to complete the program?
The Professional MBA Program offers offers working professionals a flexible plan of study. Most students finish in just over three years, but it can be done in as little as 2 1/2 or as many as 10 years.
How many classes/credits can I take in a semester?
Professional MBA students generally take one or two classes (3-6 semester hours) per semester. Students cannot take more than 6 semester hours of graduate credit concurrently each semester unless they have been granted permission by a program advisor.
Can I specialize or choose an area of concentration?
While it is not required, students may choose to concentrate in an area that interests them by completing 12 semester hours of elective credit (4 courses) in a specific discipline within the College of Business. Students can leverage their concentrations toward personal or professional goals, but there is no formal recognition on the diploma or transcript.
What is the time commitment outside of class?
Time commitments vary depending upon the specific course and upon the individual's specific skill sets. As a general rule, students will spend 8-12 hours per week (not including class time) on class-related work for each class.
Where are classes held? When do classes meet?
The Professional MBA Program offers three convenient locations throughout the region. Program facilities are located in Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, and the Quad Cities. Classes are occasionally offered on the main campus in Iowa City as well.
Professional MBA classes meet in the evening and on Saturday to accommodate the working professional. Class times vary depending upon the individual course and instructor. For more specific course times and days, see the Course Schedule.
Does the Professional MBA offer online courses?
While the Professional MBA offers an occasional web course as an elective for the program, University of Iowa Professional MBA students and faculty find great value in learning from each other in a face-to-face and team-oriented environment.
Can international students apply for the Professional MBA Program?
International students may apply for admission to the Professional MBA Program provided they have met the admission requirements.
What are the admission requirements for students educated outside the United States?
Students who received an undergraduate degree from a college or university outside the United States will be required to submit transcripts and proof of degree conferral. We are able to review your application using unofficial, digital/duplicate copies of your transcript. If you are offered admission or approved for PreMBA status, the offer/approval will be contingent upon receipt and verification of official transcripts.
These records must be legible and include:
- The subjects you studied by year, with grades, marks, or percentages;
- Number of weekly lecture and laboratory hours in each subject;
- Grades, marks, or percentages earned in year-end examinations;
- Proof that the degree was conferred. I.E., diplomas, titles, degrees, or certificates awarded.
In India, the term 'Transcript' is defined differently. To clarify, we need your yearly marks sheets as well as an attested copy of the degree certificate.
TOEFL or IELTS scores are required of all international applicants for Pre-MBA and formal MBA admission EXCEPT:
- Applicants who were educated solely in English for their undergraduate and/or prior graduate degree. The academic documents must confirm that all degree coursework was completed in English.
- Applicants who have requested and completed a successful admissions interview with a representative from the Professional MBA Program. You may request an admissions interview by e-mailing us at email@example.com. We will schedule the interview for you.
Is financial aid available for international students?
Generally, financial aid is not available for non-U.S. citizens; however, there are some loans available to international students from private lenders. More information about financial aid for international students can be obtained from the Information for International Students section of the Office of Student Financial Aid's website.
How much is tuition for the Professional MBA Program?
For the most current tuition information, see the Tuition and Fees section of our website. Note that textbooks and other course materials are additional and vary by class.
Is financial aid available?
Financial aid is available for those students who qualify. To learn more about student financial aid or to find out if you qualify, see the Financial Aid section of our website.
What career services/employment assistance will be available to me?
Professional MBA students may take advantage of the career resources offered at any point in the program. Learn more about these resources.