- VITA, You've Come a Long Way (03/03/2015)
When the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program first began at the University of Iowa, a small number of accounting students assisted a small group of international students with tax return preparation. Professor Joyce Berg, who serves as advisor to the Beta Alpha Psi student organization, recalls preparing about 120 tax returns when she first began advising Beta Alpha Psi in 2005.
- Embracing International Study & Honoring a Worldly Teacher (03/03/2015)
When retired faculty member Nancy Hauserman (JD76) was a student, study abroad programs were not yet common. The concept has gained prominence as a way to learn about the global economy as well as different cultures. Now, a growing fund is making it possible for more students than ever to benefit from these pivotal journeys.
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation in the K-12 STEM Classroom (03/03/2015)
There’s good news and bad news about K-12 education in Iowa.
- A Student and an Athlete (03/03/2015)
Tippie undergraduate students are a diverse bunch.
- Career in Insurance Always a Sure Thing (03/02/2015)
Ali Rosenberg has known for years what she’s wanted to do for a career: risk management and insurance.
- From the Ground Up (03/02/2015)
Tens of thousands of women major in business in the United States, and many of them belong to student groups for women business majors, like the Women’s Energy Network, the Businesswomen’s Association, or some variation of Women in Business.
- Joyce Berg Receives Michael J. Brody Award for Faculty Excellence in Service (02/26/2015)
Joyce Berg, professor of accounting and the Pioneer Hi-Bred Research Fellow, has an extraordinary record of service to the University and the State of Iowa. Her contributions span over 20 years at the University of Iowa. Through her service, she has touched the lives of thousands of students and other members of the Johnson County community.
- Accounting Faculty Highlights (02/26/2015)
Meet our accounting faculty and discover little known facts—from who loves Seinfeld to who collects PenDelfin rabbits.
- Preview Day 2015 (02/25/2015)
Prospective undergraduate students visited the Tippie College of Business during Business Preview Day on February 21. They heard from several professors on our six majors and got to hear student testimonials on internship experiences, studying abroad, and how Tippie prepares the best of the best for the working world.
- The Real Deal (02/25/2015)
Last spring M.Ac. students in the Advanced Auditing course had a taste of the real world. They applied what they’d learned in the classroom to real-life circumstances for Johnson County offices during a semester-long consulting project.
- Wells Family Establishes Fund to Provide Scholarships for Tippie Students from Van Buren County (02/23/2015)
The family of Wayne and Jean Wells has established a new scholarship fund for University of Iowa students from Van Buren County who are pursuing a business degree. The gift provides an endowed fund that will pay out scholarships annually in perpetuity, helping generations of Southeast Iowa students.
- Tippie Students Provide Free Tax Prep Services Through VITA (02/20/2015)
Tippie accounting and law students will again provide free tax return preparation services to qualifying persons this year as part of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
- University of Iowa Announces First Three-Year Majors (02/19/2015)
First-year undergraduates headed to the University of Iowa this fall can sign up for Iowa Degree in Three—a new accelerated program designed for motivated students who want to graduate faster and cut costs.
- Job and Internship Fair Brings 160 Employers to UI Students Feb. 25 (02/18/2015)
American employers are hiring again, and that economic improvement means another record number of organizations will be represented at this spring’s career fair, with hundreds of jobs, internships, and other career opportunities waiting for University of Iowa students.
- Tippie Plans to Grow Bigger and Better (02/18/2015)
As the undergraduate dean in the Henry B. Tippie College of Business, Ken Brown draws on his experience as a father. Every day he strives to make Tippie the kind of place where his 11- and 13-year-old daughters would have a great educational experience, one where they would develop skills, grow, and become better people.
- MBA Students Consult with Iowa Businesses to Help Them Grow (02/18/2015)
Tippie MBA students will provide consulting services this spring that help several businesses across Iowa to grow and become stronger.
- Tippie Buddies Kicks Off Spring Semester (02/09/2015)
More than 160 students met their match on February 6 for the semester-long Tippie Buddies program. Also known as International Buddies, Tippie pairs international and American business and pre-business undergraduate students so they can experience and share cultures. View more #TippieBuddies coverage on Twitter and Flickr.
- Disterhoft, Uthoff, Gesell Earn Academic Distinction (02/05/2015)
Tippie students and University of Iowa basketball athletes Ally Disterhoft, Mike Gesell and Jarrod Uthoff have been named Capital One Academic All-District first team honorees for their combined performance athletically and in the classroom.
- Tippie Adds Master's in Business Analytics (02/05/2015)
The University of Iowa's Tippie College of Business is adding another component to its growing roster of business data analytics programs.
- The Downside of Optimism: Fundamental Flaw in Optimistic Thinking Discovered (01/30/2015)
On the surface, optimism may sound like a good thing, but those rose-colored glasses can result in profoundly negative impacts. Hopeful outlooks can make executives and managers mistakenly believe problems can be fixed before the next earnings report, even when the issues are too serious to resolve.
- Message Control (01/30/2015)
Investors want clarity when they decide where to put their money, and a new study from the University of Iowa suggests firms do themselves a disservice when they file poorly written financial disclosure reports.
- UI Researchers Study Rural Access to Health Care Specialties (01/21/2015)
An ongoing series of studies by University of Iowa researchers shows that access to a variety of specialty health care fields are more accessible than thought in rural Iowa, but that access could be threatened depending on how health care reforms are implemented.
- Tippie Student Named Entrepreneur of the Year (01/16/2015)
Tyler Finchum (BBA '15, finance and economics major, Certificate in Entrepreneurial Management), recently won the Student Entrepreneur of the Year award at the Collegiate Entrepreneurs’ Organization (CEO) National Conference in Orlando, Florida.
- UI Celebrates Life of Martin Luther King Jr. (01/15/2015)
An annual University of Iowa celebration honoring the life and work of Martin Luther King Jr. and addressing contemporary human rights issues will be held Jan. 19-31.
- Venture School Coming to Help Entrepreneurs in Council Bluffs, Quad Cities, Iowa City (01/14/2015)
The University of Iowa’s Venture School business start-up program for entrepreneurs is on its way to Council Bluffs, the Quad Cities, and Iowa City.
- Best of 2014: Tippie College of Business (12/29/2014)
Tippie's Best of 2014: Take a look back at highlights from throughout the year.
- Tippie Alums Recognized as Influential Leaders (12/24/2014)
While Tippie undergraduates strive to be selected as Tippie's 21 Under 21 outstanding student leaders, Tippie alums were honored this fall with influential leadership awards from throughout the state.
- Gamma Iota Sigma: Tippie's Best Kept Secret (12/24/2014)
Tippie's Gamma Iota Sigma (GIS) chapter, an international risk management, insurance and actuarial science professional fraternity, attended the International GIS Conference in Dallas this fall and returned with multiple awards for outstanding alumni relations, chapter management, and public relations.
- Marketing to Millennials: Students Help The Principal Better Market Insurance Lines (12/24/2014)
This fall the University of Iowa partnered with three other Iowa universities, The Principal Financial Group, and Voice of the Young and Evolving Consumer (VOYC) in a competition among marketing students. A team of Tippie students won the semester-long competition after presenting at The Principal's Des Moines headquarters on December 4.
- Tippie Congratulates December 2014 Graduates (12/22/2014)
Congratulations to our 198 BBA, 84 MBA, and 6 M.Ac. graduates who received their degrees December 19-20, 2014. View highlights from the undergraduate and graduate commencement ceremonies:
- IEM Opens 2016 Presidential, Congressional Prediction Markets (12/09/2014)
The opening bell has rung for the 2016 Iowa Electronic Markets’ (IEM) presidential and Congressional control markets that give traders the opportunity to buy and sell contracts that will predict the results of the next general election.
- Mike Gesell Excels On and Off the Court (12/08/2014)
University of Iowa men's basketball player Mike Gesell has had a busy collegiate career on the court, but the three-year starter has been just as busy off it.
- Des Moines Company Keeps Concrete Level; UI Students Help Make Sure Sales Aren't (12/08/2014)
A Des Moines entrepreneur has a better way to achieve flat and level concrete, and a group of University of Iowa students is helping get the word out.