- Arranging the Right Corporate Marriage (05/21/2013)
A new study from the University of Iowa suggests that managers of small firms better protect their shareholders’ stock value by fending off potential acquisitions by larger firms with overpriced stock.
- Tippie Faculty Member Releases Text on Analyzing Big Data (05/20/2013)
Johannes Ledolter, Management Sciences professor at the University of Iowa's Tippie College of Business, has released a new text titled Data Mining and Business Analytics with R. The text, according to publisher John Wiley & Sons, focuses on giving students the processes and tools for collecting and analyzing large quantities of data in order to derive useful insights.
- Rynes Honored for Excellence (05/17/2013)
Sara Rynes, John F. Murray Professor of Management and Organizations, is one of six recipients to receive the 2013 Regents Award for Faculty Excellence.
- Reviving Towncrest (05/16/2013)
An analysis by a group of University of Iowa business students suggests that Iowa City focus its efforts to redevelop the Towncrest neighborhood on a piece of city-owned vacant land at the corner of First Avenue and Muscatine Road.
- Bright Lights, Big Prizes (05/15/2013)
A student from Waterloo Columbus High School was recently named the state’s top high school entrepreneur in a contest sponsored by the University of Iowa and the accounting firm Ernst & Young.
- Oh, Say Can He Sing (05/14/2013)
You've seen Nils Thorson perform. Not as an athlete, but as the guy who sings the national anthem before the start of the game.
- Tippie Commencement Ceremonies Set for May 17-18 (05/13/2013)
The School of Management (MBA program) will host a ceremony for graduates at 10 a.m. at the Coralville Marriott Hotel and Conference Center on Friday, May 17.
- Tippie Gift to Support Athletics and Business (05/13/2013)
A $5 million gift to the University of Iowa Foundation from Henry B. Tippie (BSC49) is benefiting students in the UI Henry B. Tippie College of Business, and student-athletes and building projects in the UI Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.
- Student Start-Up Wins Entrepreneurial Award (05/10/2013)
The UI College of Engineering has announced that the student business plan for a company named Iowa Smart Switch is the winner of its 2012-13 Hubert E. Storer Engineering Student Entrepreneurial Start-up Award.
- Alumna to Present Phil's Day Lecture (05/01/2013)
As part of the second annual Phil’s Day, University of Iowa alumna Janice Ellig (BBA68) will present a guest lecture, "Life with Phil," at 1:30 p.m. Thursday, May 2, in the Old Capitol Senate Chamber.
- UI Entrepreneurs and Inventors Recognized at Inaugural Hawkeye Innovation Summit (04/30/2013)
Hundreds of University of Iowa faculty, staff, students, and friends gathered at hotelVetro last Friday, April 26, to celebrate innovation and entrepreneurship across campus at the inaugural Hawkeye Innovation Summit.
- Study Finds a Good Use for Personality Tests on the Job (04/29/2013)
If employers want to learn more about an employee’s personality, an award-winning study from the University of Iowa finds that the employee might not be the best person they talk to.
- Getting to Yes (04/26/2013)
A career networking event in Des Moines will offer expert tips on improving the negotiation skills that are an important part of daily activities at work and at home.
- Tippie Technology Dedication (04/23/2013)
Tippie View, an interactive wall of video displays used by business students and Pappajohn Business Building visitors alike, took center stage in a dedication ceremony on Friday, April 19.
- Mount Wins SIOP Award (04/22/2013)
Mick Mount, the Henry B. Tippie Research Professor of Human Resource Management, and two former Ph.D. students, In-Sue Oh (Temple University) and Gang Wang (University of Idaho), won the SIOP 2013 Joyce and Robert Hogan Award for Personality and Performance.
- UI Online Farm Manual Business Recognized for Technology Excellence (04/17/2013)
University of Iowa student Tyler Finchum was honored for his business Farm Manuals Fast at the 2013 Prometheus Awards April 11 in Des Moines.
- Innovation Summit Helps Would-Be UI Entrepreneurs (04/12/2013)
University of Iowa students, faculty, and staff interested in starting a technology start-up business can learn more about helpful UI resources at the Hawkeye Innovation Summit from 8-11 a.m., Friday, April 26 at the hotelVetro.
- Tippie Students and Alumna Honored at Hancher-Finkbine Dinner (04/11/2013)
Two Tippie students and an alumna were among the University of Iowa students, faculty, staff, and alumni who received some of the institution’s highest honors April 9 at the 96th annual Finkbine Dinner.
- Buy Bonds Or Go Broke (04/10/2013)
Add Cyprus to the list of debt-trashed economies in the Eurozone, joining Greece, Italy, Spain, and the rest to create a cautionary tale for the United States’ own debt and spending challenges.
- Economics Student to Receive Diversity Catalyst Award (04/08/2013)
The University of Iowa Chief Diversity Office invites everyone to celebrate the distinctive and innovative diversity contributions of six award recipients at the 14th Annual Diversity Catalyst Awards Reception Thursday, April 18.
- Tippie School of Management Names Frasier to Head MBA Programs (04/08/2013)
David Frasier, who currently oversees the full-time graduate business programs at the University of Buffalo, has been named associate dean of MBA programs at the University of Iowa’s Tippie School of Management.
- Redemption Project (04/01/2013)
Srinivas “Cheeni” Rao’s story is a redemption story and so let’s say up front that it has a happy ending, with marriage, family, advanced UI degrees, a published book, and a hopeful future in business. But to get that happy ending, you have to go to some dark places, because that’s how redemption stories work, and in Rao’s case, they are quite dark and ugly.
- Tax Executives Institute Establishes Scholarship in Honor of Iowa Grad (03/26/2013)
The Tax Executives Institute knows the importance of education and scholarships because continuing education lies at the core of its activities. That’s why this past year, the institute contributed approximately $230,000 in scholarships to various schools, including the creation of the Timothy J. McCormally Tax Executives Institute Scholarship Fund at Tippie.
- UI Alumni Association Event Offers Business Networking Opportunities (03/26/2013)
Collaboration is critical in today’s business world—and an upcoming networking event from the University of Iowa Alumni Association offers the chance to make some important connections with fellow Hawkeyes.
- Cancer Care May Be Closer Than You Think (03/26/2013)
Research from the University of Iowa suggests that cancer care is more accessible in rural areas than thought, and this increased accessibility should be considered as changes are made in the health care system under the Affordable Care Act.
- Tippie Student Equity Analysts See Continued Slow Growth in U.S. Economy (03/15/2013)
Financial analysts in the Tippie MBA program expect slow and steady growth in the U.S. economy over the next six months, with the government sequestration causing limited economic impact.
- U.S. News Ranks Tippie Graduate Programs among Top 50 in Nation (03/13/2013)
Each year, U.S. News ranks professional school programs in business, education, engineering, law, and medicine. Several Tippie programs made the list this year.
- Reinforcing a Commitment to the Public (03/11/2013)
Nick Benson serves in a number of roles these days, but his favorite is probably matchmaker. As coordinator of the Iowa Initiative for Sustainable Communities (IISC), Benson is making new connections between the University of Iowa and Iowa communities.
- Klitgaard to Discuss Healthcare Cash Management System (03/11/2013)
Chris Klitgaard, president and CEO of Coralville-based MediRevv, will speak as part of the MidwestOne Lecture Series at the University of Iowa’s John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center on Tuesday, March 26.
- College Names New Alumni Relations Director (03/05/2013)
Courtney Blind has joined the Tippie College as alumni relations director.
- Tax Research: Educating the Educators (03/04/2013)
The Department of Accounting at the Tippie College of Business continues to fill a unique role by offering the only doctoral program in accounting in the state of Iowa. Having a highly ranked, internationally recognized Ph.D. program gives the Department of Accounting a front row seat to an inimitable staffing crisis certain to impact the future of accounting education.
- Getting Their Names Right (02/27/2013)
Chinese students at the University of Iowa may be used to hearing their names rendered into unrecognizable sounds by linguistically challenged faculty but it probably doesn't help them adjust to life in Iowa.