Students Recognized with Diversity Awards
The University of Iowa Chief Diversity Office invites members of the UI campus and community to celebrate distinctive and innovative diversity contributions at the 15th annual Diversity Catalyst Award Reception.
The celebration will be Tuesday, April 15, with a reception at 3 p.m., followed by an awards program from 3:30 to 5 p.m. in the Second Floor Ballroom at the Iowa Memorial Union. It is free and open to the public.
Debra A. Schwinn, dean of the UI Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine and professor of anesthesiology, pharmacology, and biochemistry, will deliver the keynote address.
This year’s Diversity Catalyst Award recipients will also be honored.
Student award recipients:
- Anthony Ferguson Jr., assistant district director, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., and president and founder, Young, Black, & Educated, who is from Baltimore, Md., and is an African American studies and history double major in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (see a related story, Young, Black, and Educated)
- Michael Considine, senior airman, 185th Air National Guard in Sioux City, and president of the UI Veterans Association, from Sioux City, Iowa, who is a business management student in the Tippie College of Business (see a related story, Aloha, veterans!).
Faculty/Staff award recipients:
- David M. Lubaroff, associate director, Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center, and professor, UI Departments of Urology and Microbiology
- Motier F. Haskins, clinical assistant professor, UI School of Social Work
Department/Group award recipient:
- Division of Student Life Multicultural Work Group
The Diversity Catalyst Award Reception will be held in conjunction with the Alliant Energy/Erroll B. Davis Jr. Achievement Awards, which are given to selected seniors from Iowa’s three public universities.
This award recognizes academic achievement, leadership in campus and community organizations, and potential for future career success. The Alliant Energy/Erroll B. Davis Jr. Achievement Awards recipients are the following:
- Parker Valdez, University of Iowa
- Sraavya Undurty, University of Iowa
- Kelvin Robinson, University of Northern Iowa
- Sharnae Lamar, University of Northern Iowa
- Szuyin Leow, Iowa State University
- Cimone Wright, Iowa State University
Contact: Tom Snee, University Communication and Marketing, 319-384-0010