Frequently Asked Questions
- How many different Ph.D. programs are offered at the Tippie College of Business?
- How many students are accepted each year?
- How many doctoral students are currently in your program?
- Will you review my applications without official scores from ETS?
- What kind of financial support can I expect as a Ph.D. student?
- What is the application fee?
- When is the application deadline? How late can documents be accepted for the application?
- Can we use the electronic application?
- What documents are needed to apply in addition to the Graduate College Application?
- Do I need an interview?
- Where is the University of Iowa located?
- Can you receive a Ph.D. degree without having a previous master's degree?
- I already have a master's degree. Will it help shorten the program?
- What is the duration of the program?
- When do you begin accepting applications?
- When are admission decisions made?
- What are the testing requirements associated with the application procedure?
- What test code numbers do I use when requesting ETS score reports to be sent?
- How can I learn more about the Tippie College of Business faculty and their research interests?
- What are the housing options for new/current students?
How many different Ph.D. programs are offered at the Tippie College of Business?
There are six different areas: accounting, economics, finance, management sciences, management & organizations, and marketing.
How many students are accepted each year?
This varies by department. We look at the current number of students, how many are in the dissertation stage, and the college's proposed budget for the coming year. The number varies from year to year.
How many doctoral students are currently in your program?
There are approximately 100 students enrolled in our Ph.D. programs for this academic year.
Will you review my applications without official scores from ETS?
No, we will not process any applications until we have the official scores from ETS.
What kind of financial support can I expect as a Ph.D. student?
Whenever we admit a student, we typically provide financial support. The programs offer admission with graduate funding such as teaching and research assistantships. Generous fellowships and supplemental awards are also available. Depending on the individual departments, tuition scholarships may be given.
What is the application fee?
The application fee for graduate study at the University of Iowa is $60 for domestic and permanent residents and $100 for international applicants. Checks and/or money orders must be payable to the University of Iowa. The online application process requires payment by credit card only.
When is the application deadline? How late can documents be accepted for the application?
Applications are accepted for fall admission only and should be submitted as early as possible, but no later than the deadlines established by each department.
Can we use the electronic application?
Yes, this is strongly encouraged. Use the application found on the document's site at Application Forms.
What documents are needed to apply in addition to the Graduate College Application?
The Office of Admissions will need official transcripts and scores from ETS. After you receive your HawkID and password from the Office of Admissions, please upload required documents to the Ph.D. application portal. The department for which you are applying will need a statement of purpose, three letters of recommendation, and transcripts.
Do I need an interview?
If the department requires this, they will contact you directly.
Where is the University of Iowa located?
The University of Iowa is a major national research university located on a 1,900-acre campus in Iowa City in southeast Iowa, on the Iowa River near the intersection of U.S. Interstate Highways 80 and 380. Iowa is composed of 11 colleges, the largest of which is the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, enrolling most of Iowa's undergraduates. The Henry B. Tippie College of Business, the Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine, and the Colleges of Education, Engineering, Law, Nursing, and Pharmacy, enroll undergraduates, and the Colleges of Dentistry and Public Health provide graduate education in conjunction with the Graduate College.
Can you receive a Ph.D. degree without having a previous master's degree?
Yes. Applicants who have a bachelor's or comparable academic degree will be considered for admission.
I already have a master's degree. Will it help shorten the program?
Not necessarily. A master's degree is not a required first step in pursuit of a Ph.D. degree—the Ph.D. is not master's work at a higher level. Master's and Ph.D. course requirements are quite distinct.
What is the duration of the program?
Approximately five years, whether or not a student enters the Tippie College of Business with a master's degree.
When do you begin accepting applications?
Application material may be submitted at any time.
When are admission decisions made?
As soon as the department receives all the appropriate documents.
What are the testing requirements associated with the application procedure?
- The Accounting Ph.D. Program requires the official GMAT.
- The Economics Ph.D. Program requires the official GRE.
- The Finance, Management and Organizations, Management Sciences, and Marketing Ph.D. programs accept either the official GRE or GMAT.
- The official TOEFL score is required of all international applicants whose native language is not English. Automatic waivers of the TOEFL requirement are granted for persons who have completed a bachelor's degree (or higher) at an accredited university in the United States.
To obtain additional information concerning GMAT, GRE, or TOEFL, contact Educational Testing Service (ETS):
Educational Testing Service
Princeton, NJ 08541-6000, USA
What test code numbers do I use when requesting ETS score reports to be sent?
When registering for the GRE, TOEFL, or GMAT, please use the following institution code for the University of Iowa to ensure your official score report is received by the Ph.D. admission office: 6681.
How can I learn more about the Tippie College of Business faculty and their research interests?
Information on faculty research can be found on our website.
What are the housing options for new/current students?
Students are housed on and off campus. Please visit Housing for more information.