- The client computer (the computer you are connecting from) must be running Windows XP/Vista or Windows 7 with all Windows updates installed.
- You must install and use the UI Anywhere VPN Service—See VPN Access for instructions.
- The machine you wish to control must be left on in order to make a remote connection. Log on to UI DIY to access the PowerUp! tool to remotely power on your workstation.
Using the Remote Desktop Connection Client Software (on a remote machine)
- Start the Remote Access software by clicking on the Remote Desktop Connection icon located under Start|All Programs|Accessories.
- Enter the DNS name of the computer you wish to access remotely. If your office is W488, then the DNS name of the first computer in your office is PBB-W488-1.iowa.uiowa.edu. (For information on accessing local drives, see Notes below.) Click Connect.
- You will be prompted for your credentials (HawkID and password) and then connected to your desktop.
- If you left your office machine logged on, you will see the same desktop and programs that were running when you left the office and can continue your session where you left off.
- If you disconnect from a remote session, your programs will continue to run. If you log out from a remote session, you will be logged off the remote machine as well (just as if you had logged off sitting in front of your office computer).
- Some key combinations will not work when remotely accessing a computer. See Remote Desktop Keyboard Equivalents for details.
- To access local drives while connected to the remote computer, click the Options button in the connection box and then click the Local Resources tab. Click on the More... button and then choose the drive you wish to access by expandind the + sign in the list of drives and checking the appropriate drive letter.
Remote Desktop Keyboard Equivalents
|Windows Key Combinations for Client Computer||Equivalent Keys for Remote Desktop Session||Description|
|ALT+TAB||ALT+PAGE UP||Switches between programs from left to right.|
|ALT+SHIFT+TAB||ALT+PAGE DOWN||Switches between programs from right to left.|
|ALT+ESC||ALT+INSERT||Cycles through the programs in the order they were started.|
|CTRL+ESC||Switches the client between a window and full screen.|
|CTRL+ESC||ALT+HOME||Displays the Start menu.|
|ALT+DELETE||Displays the Windows menu.|
|PRINT SCREEN||CTRL+ALT+MINUS (-) symbol on keypad||Places a snapshot of the active window in the Remote Desktop session on the clipboard.|
|CTRL+ALT+DEL||CTRL+ALT+END||Displays the Task Manager or Windows Security dialog box. (Only use CTRL+ALT+END to issue this command. CTRL+ALT+DEL is always interpreted by the client computer.)|
|ALT+PRINT SCREEN||CTRL+ALT+PLUS (+) symbol on the numeric keypad||Places a snapshot of the entire Remote Desktop session window on the clipboard.|