Admission Essay Requirement
All students applying to the Tippie College of Business submit an admission essay of 300-500 words as part of their application to the college.
The admission essay requirement reinforces the college's emphasis on competency in written communication and on taking personal responsibility for your actions and learning from them.
Spring 2015 admission essay question:
"Which faculty member of the Tippie College of Business do you most want to meet and why?" You can locate faculty profiles on the TCOB website http://tippie.uiowa.edu/people/azfaculty.cfm
What to keep in mind when you write your admission essay
- Do focus on only one (at most two) key ideas or experiences
- Do provide insight into what drives you
- Do engage with the topic in a specific manner—answer the question being asked
- Do evaluate your experiences—take a specific position or stance—be thoughtful
- Do proofread for grammar, usage, punctuation, and spelling errors
Weak admission essays also share certain characteristics.
What to avoid when writing your admission essay
- Don't repeat information already contained on the resume
- Don't go over 500 words—longer statements will not be read past the 500 word mark
- Don't use boring or over-used (clichéd) introductions and conclusions
- Don't describe a situation—the admission essay is not the same as a descriptive essay
- Don't preach or offer opinions about what other people or institutions should/should not do
Admission Essays must meet at least two of the following three criteria:
- Admission essay presents a clear snapshot (picture) of the applicant—the applicant is able to differentiate himself or herself in some distinct way
- Admission essay shows evidence of the applicant's engagement in the topic and takes a thoughtful approach to future goals and/or past experiences
- Admission essay is free of distracting errors in grammar, usage, punctuation, and spelling
Students whose admission essays meet none, or only one of the criteria above will be required to revise and resubmit their admission essay, which will be evaluated again according to the same three criteria.
For more information, please refer to the Standard Admission FAQ.