International Buddies at Tippie
Applications are now open for the Spring 2015 semester. Applications are due by Wednesday, January 28. The kick-off event is planned for Friday, February 6. You will receive details of your buddy match a few days before that.
Features of the program include:
- Pairing based on your major, interests, and personality type
- Regular meetings (every other week preferred) with your buddy for meals, coffee, studying, movies, etc.
- Great downtown discounts for buddies at restaurants and coffee shops (such as 2-for-1 coffee drinks at the Java House)
- A welcome reception for all buddies at the beginning of the semester, and an international potluck meal for all buddies at the end of the semester
- Optional buddy social events throughout the semester, such as pizza at the Airliner, a group golf lesson, a trip to a local farm, and pumpkin carving
- A free buddy T-shirt
- Great prizes for buddies who meet the most
- Ongoing support and meeting ideas from the Undergraduate Program Office
Applicants must be current University of Iowa undergraduate students in good academic standing who are admitted to the Tippie College of Business, declared as pre-business majors, or are pursuing a Certificate in the College of Business.
Here's what some of our buddies from last semester said:
- "Making it just a bit easier for an international student to feel included in our culture is one of the most fulfilling things I've done here at Iowa." — Zach Dermont, Pre-Business
- "The Tippie Buddies program offers a great way to connect with our peers from a different cultures outside classrooms and brings the international inclusion to Tippie College of Business. I enjoy having meaningful conversations with my buddy, Leah Jessen, at Java House this semester and am truly grateful that I get to know her through Tippie Buddies program. I have gained another great friend!" — Yingxuan Bi, Finance & RMI Certificate
- "I loved being a part of International Buddies this semester. It really helped to be paired with an international student, breaking the cultural barrier between us when we might not have even met if not for the program. I know now that I have a lifetime friend in my buddy, and plan to continue seeing her even after this semester." — Anonymous