Student News & Deadlines
Contact Viana Rockel, 335-1015
Headlines May 2009
- Professor Leverty Receives Collegiate Teaching Award
- Gamma Iota Sigma Events
- May 3 General Meeting with Kevin Keller
- GIS Announces Fall Officers
- Internships and Employment
- Farmer's Mutual Hail, Field Supervisor Trainee, West Des Moines, IA
- Krist Insurance, West Des Moines, IA
- Risk Strategies, Northfield, IL
- Corporate and Association Events
- PRIMA Launches Student Membership Program
- IIAI Young Agents Conference May 6-7
- RIMS Professional Development Courses
- Golf Outing
- IIAI License Schools and Licensure Materials
- Where: C121 PBB
- When: 7:00 p.m. Kevin is a Vice President of Maximum Independent Brokerage in Chicago, Illinois. He may be joined by Mike McHugh, Executive Vice President of Arthur Gallagher.
- President: Jon Raftis
- Executive Vice President and VP of Mentoring: TJ Anderson
- VP Industry Relations: Han Chen
- VP Finance and Socials: Rob Strutt
- VP Community Service: Joel Greteman
- VP Communications: Philip Krois
- VP Technology: Eric Wang
- When: Wed., May 6 at 9:30 a.m. & Thurs., May 7 to Noon.
- Where: IIAI Offices 4000 Westown Parkway, West Des Moines
- Contact Viana if you are interested in attending.
- When: May-July
- Where: Locations vary and include Chicago, Boston, Atlanta and New York
- Register online
- When: August 20, 2009
- Where: Finkbine Golf course
Professor Leverty Receives Collegiate Teaching AwardTy Leverty, assistant professor of finanace, received this year's Collegiate Teaching Award. The award represents the highest teaching honor a college bestows on faculty. Ty teaches Principles of Risk Management and Insurance and Corporate Financial Risk Management, and is also the TRISTAR Risk Management Fellow.
Gamma Iota Sigma EventsMay 3 General Meeting with Kevin Keller
GIS Announces Fall Officers
Employment and Internships
Farmer's Mutual Hail, West Des Moines, Field Supervisor Trainee
Krist Insurance, West Des Moines, IA
Krist Insurance has expertise in many areas, including risk management for medical practitioners. They are currently looking for 3 staff positions and for interns in insurance marketing and sales. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Mr. Krist.
Risk Strategies, Northfield, IL
Risk Strategies is a national brokerages firm offering services to both privately held and publicly traded commerical clients. They provide high level, consultative support on insurance, risk mangement, human capital and executive liability matters. The company is offering an internship this summer for 10-12 weeks in their home office in Northfield, IL. Apply today. For more inforamtion, contact Andy Royce.
Corporate and Association Events
PRIMA Launches Student Membership Program
The Public Risk Management Association (PRIMA) is the largest risk management association dedicated soley to the practice of risk management in the public sector. Signing up for a student members will provide you with many benefits and connections. Check out their marketing and membership brochure and apply today.
IIAI Young Agents Conference May 6-7
The IIAI has an impressive list of speakers for this conference, including Insurance Commissioner Susan Voss and CEO Richard Keith of IMT. There is a cost for this conference, but if we get enough students to agree to attend, Viana will try to negotiate a reduced rate for studentsThis is a good chance to network with young insurance professionals in the state.
RIMS Professional Development Courses
If you don't find an internship this summer, you may want to consider attending a professional development seminar like "Techniques of Risk Management" that will be offered in Chicago May 11-12.
Dana Ramundt Foundation Golf Outing
This golf outing raises funds for scholarships, but more importantly, students gain valuable contacts with many companies and insurance professionals. If you're a continuing student, you should attend to make contacts within the industry. Graduating seniors, please consider attending as a participant. For more information, contact Dana Ramundt, The Dana Company.
IIAI License School
The Independent Insurance Agents of Iowa hold review sessions for state licensure exams across the state. If you want to make your resume stand out, you might want to consider getting licensed this summer. The IIAI will provide study materials to RMI students after they verify your enrollment. For more information on dates and topics, check out the IIAI website.
The Emmett J. Vaughan Institute
of Risk Management and Insurance
Henry B. Tippie College of Business
Department of Finance
108 John Pappajohn Business Building, Ste S230A
Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1000
319-335-1015 Fax 319-384-3585