Student News & Deadlines
Contact Viana Rockel, 335-1015
- Interview and Job/Internship Search Resources
- Licensing Review Course
- December 5: Dana Ramundt
- Spring Officers Elected
- Holmes Murphy & Associates: Cedar Rapids and Des Moines Internships
- McGladrey Risk Advisory Services Consulting Associate
- Holmes Murphy Account Manager Position--Attention December Graduates
- RIMS Risk Managers Panel Feb. 9
Vaughan Institute Announcements
Interview and Job/Internship Search Resources
- Sentry Insuance is offering Mock interviews on December 1. If you are still uncertain about your interviewing skills, this is a good opportunity to practice while at the same time getting to know an employer. Sign up on HireAHawk.
- You may also want to check into the Career Center's Perfect Interview, an online interview practice tool.
- Consider attending the Career Center's Suit Camp: A Boot Camp for Jour Job Search on Friday, December 10 at 1:00. The Career Center is also offereing walk-in resume assistance from 9-4 on Decmeber 10.
- InVest has establised an Insurance Career Center. While there aren't many positions listed yet, keep an eye on it. You can also post your resume on this site. InVest is a non-profit established by the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America to improve insurance literacy in the classroom and to attract talent to the industry.
- Students who become members of the Risk and Insurance Management Society may also post their resumes on the RIMS site. Membership is free and the local chapter also waives membership for students.
Lincensing Review Course
We are considering holding State of Iowa Insurance Licensing Review Classes on March 25 (Friday), March 26 (Saturday) and April 2 (Saturday). If you are interested in attending this course to sit for the combined personal and commercial lines exam, please email Viana. The IIAI is currently confirming the dates with potential instructors.
Gamma Iota Sigma Events
December 5: Dana Ramundt6:00 p.m.
Dana Ramundt of The Dana Company will be the final speaker for the Fall 2010 Gamma Iota Sigma speaker series on December 5, 2010. Don't miss this opporunity to get to know Dana, who serves on the Vaughan Institute's Advisory Board and was instrumental in helping to re-establish insurance education at the University of Iowa. He continues to work on behalf of our students, serving as a mentor and organizing a golf outing where students can meet industry leaders on an informal basis. Proceeds from the golf outing provided more than $11,000 in scholarships to students last year.
You don't have to be a GIS member to attend GIS meetings. If you are interested in becoming a member, GIS accepts memberships anytime.
GIS Elects Spring Officers
Congratuations to the Spring 2011 GIS Officers:
- President: Alyssa Flamm
- Executive Vice President: Derek Jones
- VP of Industry Relations: Wyatt Boshart
- VP of Finance and Socials: Catie Sebolt
- VP of Community Service: Patrick McNichols
- Secretary and VP of Communications: Dan Benzshawel
- VP of Mentoring: Ashley Schulz
- VP of Technology: Eric Wang
Holmes Murphy & Associates
Holmes Murphy & Associates is recruiting Business Development Interns and graduating seniors for their Producer Development training program. HMA interns network with key leaders within their company as well as recent graduates who have completed an internship throught their development training program. To learn more, attend their January 6 event in West Des Moines or their January 31 event in Cedar Rapids.
McGladrey Risk Advisory Services Consulting Associate
As a Risk Advisory Service Consulting Associate at McGladrey, you will work with various sized businesses in diverse industries and receive hands-on client experience with direct access to business owners. Working on numerous team engagements per year, you will work on several pieces of any particular assignment -- not just one small part -- and you will feel a great sense of accomplishment when you are done. McGladrey's Risk Advisory Service Consulting Group provides value added risk assessment services to a variety of clientele. Examples of projects include internal audits, compliance work and SOX projects.
Holmes Murphy Account Manager Position, Des Moines--Attention December Graduates
HMA in Des Moines, Iowa, will hire a Property and Casualty Account Manager in January. The account manager provides customer service for an account executive who sells and markets insurance programs. This position was recently held by an RMI graduate who has been promoted to producer. To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Amanda Vanderley.
RIMS Risk Managers Panel, Feb. 9, 2011
Risk Managers from the Greater Quad Cities Risk and Insurance Management Society will hold a risk managers panel on Feb. 9 during Phil Brook's Property and Liability class. All RMI students are welcome to attend. The class will be held in W401 at 5:30 p.m. The location was changed to W401 to accommodate extra students. In addition to those serving on the panel, other RIMS members will be on hand to meet you and answer questions. A reception will follow.
The Emmett J. Vaughan Institute
of Risk Management and Insurance
Henry B. Tippie College of Business
Department of Finance
108 John Pappajohn Business Building, Ste S230A
Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1000
319-335-1015 Fax 319-384-3585