Joint degree programs let you complete two degrees in less time by “double counting” semester hours toward both degrees’ requirements. We have established joint degrees in law, medicine, health administration, and pharmacy. If these don’t meet your needs, contact the director of student services—if possible, we'll build a program tailored to your goals.
Joint degree programs
- MHA/MBA (Master of Health Administration)
- J.D./MBA (Juris Doctor)
- M.D./MBA (Medical Doctor)
- PharmD (Doctor of Pharmacy)
- Postdoc (medical residents)
Each joint degree has its own tuition policy. See the specifics below.
The first year of the joint program is entirely focused on MHA courses (three courses count for MBA credit). The second year is primarily MBA courses while the third year is a combination of both. The program doesn’t contain enough MBA hours to declare an MBA concentration, but students can pursue one of the MBA minors.
- Length: 3 years
- Timing: Apply to the MBA program after being admitted to the MHA program. You may also apply during your first year of MHA and start the joint program during year two.
- Test score: The GRE is accepted for MBA admission.
- Tuition: You’ll pay College of Business tuition except for any semester where you’re enrolled exclusively in MHA courses. For those semesters, the MHA tuition rate will apply.
- Credit hours required: 75 (38 MBA and 37 MHA)
The first two years of study are spent completing the core courses for each degree. Typically, students complete College of Law courses the first year and MBA courses the second, but you can start with MBA courses if you prefer.
- Length: 4 years
- Timing: If you intend to start with law courses, apply to the MBA during 1L (year one of law school). If you intend to start with MBA courses, apply according to the deadlines of a typical MBA applicant. We can sometimes accommodate a joint degree starting in 3L; contact us to see if it’s an option for you.
- Test score: We recommend taking the GMAT or GRE before you start law school to allow adequate time to study without impacting your law studies.
- Tuition: You’ll pay College of Law tuition during the program, except for any semester where you’re not enrolled for law credits and none of the credits earned that semester will apply toward the J.D. All students will be assessed at least 6 semesters of law tuition.
- Credit hours required: 45 MBA, 84 law
Most students begin MBA courses after the third year of medical school. You may be able to join the MBA after your second year, but we advise starting the MBA portion after taking Step 2 exams at the end of year 3. It may be possible to complete the MBA coursework in 1 semester and 1 quarter.
- Length: 5 years
- Timing: You can apply immediately after being accepted into the M.D., or wait to apply until your first, second, or third year of med school.
- Test score: If admitted to the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, we will accept your MCAT score in lieu of the GMAT or GRE.
- Tuition: You’ll pay College of Medicine tuition except for any semester where you’re enrolled exclusively in MBA courses. For those semesters, the MBA tuition rate will apply.
- Credit hours required: 45 MBA plus required M.D. hour
PharmD joint degree students usually complete one year of PharmD curriculum, then one year of MBA courses, and a combination of PharmD and MBA courses in the last three years.
- Length: 5 years
- Timing: Apply immediately after being accepted into the PharmD program.
- Test score: If admitted to the University of Iowa College of Pharmacy, we will accept your PCAT score in lieu of the GMAT or GRE.
- Tuition: You’ll pay College of Pharmacy tuition except for any semester where you’re enrolled exclusively in MBA courses. For those semesters, the MBA tuition rate will apply.
- Credit hours required: 45 MBA plus required PharmD hours
Postdoctoral residents at the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics can complete MBA degree requirements during year three of their residency. The plan combines two summer semesters of courses from our Professional MBA Program with fall and spring semester courses from the Full-time MBA.
- Length: approx. 15 months
- Timing: Apply to the MBA program in your second year of postdoc residency.
- Test score: We will accept your MCAT score in lieu of GMAT or GRE.
- Tuition: In-state tuition for the Full-time MBA Program will be assessed for one year, plus Professional MBA tuition per course.
- Credit hours required: 44 MBA