Think of it as a campus visit...times 10.
Advance Weekend is your opportunity—whether you're an admitted student or thinking about applying—to experience life inside the Iowa MBA. Over the course of this two-day event, you'll meet current students, staff, faculty, and your future classmates. Hear about academics, how we'll work with you on your job search, experience Iowa MBA social life, get to know our fine city, and more.
You'll leave with firsthand knowledge of:
- The culture and vibrant social life of Iowa City.
- Your future classmates, faculty you'll have in class, and staff that will support you.
- The strength of our alumni network—and you'll hear their stories.
- What to expect in the job search, including how to get started on the right track.
- Must-know info for surviving the first year of B-school, in a "Survival 101" session led by students.
Advance Weekend 2017 will take place April 28-30, 2017.
Personal Pitch Competition
In concert with Advance Weekend, we're holding our second annual Personal Pitch Competition on Friday, April 28, 2017, with a full-tuition scholarship package going to the winner. Whether you're planning to apply or already admitted, you're welcome to compete. More details about the competition are below.
The cost of travel shouldn't be an obstacle for admitted or prospective MBA students. We'll provide up to $300 in travel reimbursement for all admitted students and many prospective students as well. If you aren't admitted yet, contact us to see if you qualify for reimbursement.
Advance Weekend Schedule
Friday, April 28:
8:00 AM to 12:00 PM - Prospective student interviews
1:30 PM to 4:30 PM - Pitch competition
5:30 PM to 8:00 PM - Faculty/Staff meet & greet at Clinton Street Social Club
8:00 PM - 11:30 PM (optional) - Night on the town with current MBA students (downtown Iowa City)
Saturday, April 29:
8:30 AM to 12:00 PM - Morning sessions (Welcome from the Dean, Alumni Speaker, Career Services Presentation)
12:15 PM to 2:00 PM - Lunch
2:00 PM to 4:00 PM - Afternoon sessions (Presentations on Henry Fund, Iowa MBA Consulting, MBA Survival 101, etc.)
4:00 PM to 4:30 PM (optional) - Campus tour
6:00 PM to 8:00 PM - Finale reception at Kinnick Stadium
Sunday, April 30:
9:00 AM - NAWMBA Women's Event (details to come)
Putting your best foot forward. Stepping out of your comfort zone. Telling your story.
They're keys to success, not only in B-school, but in the business world. To do them well, you need to be engaging and brief. Sometimes, it comes in the form of an “elevator pitch”—the ability to present a concept, promote a product, and/or endorse yourself in the time it takes for an elevator ride.
Maybe you've already begun perfecting yours while working on B-school applications and interviews. That's just the beginning. You'll need a strong pitch as you search out an internship and later, a job after your MBA.
Do you have the skill? Could you promote yourself in three to five minutes? I mean, really promote yourself? The Iowa Full-time MBA wants to hear what you can do. On Friday, April 28, 2017, we're hosting a Personal Pitch Competition: The Iowa MBA's One-Day Scholarship Competition.
To the winner goes a full-tuition scholarship package. By participating, you'll automatically be part of Advance Weekend, where you'll experience Iowa City, meet future classmates, and learn about academics, student life, and career opportunities at the Iowa MBA.
Who should participate?
- Domestic applicants or permanent residents (pursuing fall 2017 enrollment)
- Admitted students for fall 2017 that have not already been awarded a full-tuition scholarship
How to be part of the competition:
- Register for the event (see below); include a resume and your GRE/GMAT score
- Apply for admission to the Iowa Full-time MBA program
- Plan to attend Advance Weekend April 28–30, 2017
- Prepare and present a three to five minute pitch on the subject, “Why me? What I bring to the Iowa MBA”
Approved participants will receive:
- Travel reimbursement (amount based on merit)
- Lodging and meals in Iowa City
- Application essay waiver and fee waiver
So, what will it be? Are you staying on the bleachers, or are you ready to jump in and make a pitch?
Pivot from journalist to finanical analyst
Lisa Ferguson's (MBA16) initial contacts were a leading indicator of how welcoming Tippie would be. She met people who were smart, driven, and excited about what they were doing.
“That we’re-all-in-this-together attitude pervades the Tippie culture. After Advance Weekend, I was totally sold.”
What really sold her was Advance Weekend—2-1/2 days of experiencing a top-ranked program in a great college town with other admitted students.Read Story