More than just numbers
Accounting isn't just balance sheets and numbers. It's also people skills, professionalism, and integrity. We've designed our outstanding program around these factors. So well, in fact, that more than 120 firms recruit our accounting students on campus each year.
Special accounting requirements
Because of the high quantitative workload in accounting, its requirements are little different than other majors. In addition to 12 required hours of UI credit:
- UI and cumulative GPA of 3.00 and a prerequisite GPA of at least 2.75
- A 2.67 (B–) average in Introduction to Financial Accounting (ACCT:2100) and Managerial Accounting (ACCT:2200)
- A passing score on the writing skills assessment.
Courses and course requirements
All accounting major-level courses (ACCT:3100 and above) must be completed at the University of Iowa.
At a glance
Average starting salary for accounting grads
Accounting alums employed or in grad school
in the U.S. for CPA pass rate
Our volunteers provide free tax help to taxpayers earning less than $55,000 a year (married taxpayers filing a joint return must have joint income less than $55,000 a year). We will need accurate information about you and your earnings to complete your tax return. To make sure that your return is not rejected, we will check your photo ID and your social security cards for anyone you supported over the year. Here are the other items that you need to bring along:
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and anyone you supported during the year.
- Copies of any federal and state returns that you filed during the calendar year 2015.
- 2015 wage and earnings statements. This includes all W-2, W-2G, and 1099-R forms from all employers. We cannot prepare your return if you have only payroll check stubs.
- 2015 interest and dividend statements. This includes all 1099 forms from any banks or other other companies that paid you interest or dividends.
- Other relevant information about income and expenses. If you have child care expenses, bring the total amount paid for child care and the child care provider's identifying number. If you paid tuition, bring your tuition statement (1098-T) and information about education expenses that you paid. If you received the first time homebuyer credit in 2008, bring your 2008 tax return.
- Bank routing number and account number if you want your refund deposited to your account.
- A completed intake form, if possible. This will make preparing your return faster and also make sure that you have the information you need with you. We also provide these.
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present.
We are trained to help you with your tax return, but sometimes there are complex issues for which we need to refer you to a paid preparer. These things include:
- You were self-employed (your income is reported to you on a form 1099) and have business expenses exceeding $5,000.
- You have farm income.
- You received a lump sum distribution of your entire amount from your pension plan.
- You were a resident alien part of the year and a nonresident alien the other part of the year.
- You are a U.S. citizen or resident alien with foreign earned income.
- You do not have a photo ID.