More than just numbers

Accounting isn't just balance sheets and numbers. It's also people skills, professionalism, and integrity. We've designed our outstanding program around these factors. So well, in fact, that more than 120 firms recruit our accounting students on campus each year.

See Accounting Curriculum

    Declaring an accounting major

    To declare a major in accounting, you must be eligible to declare a major in Tippie and meet the following additional criteria:

    • GPA of 3.0 UI and cumulative
    • At least a B- grade in ACCT:2100 Introduction to Financial Accounting

    In order to then enroll in major-level courses in accounting after declaring the major, you must have a 2.67 (B-) average in ACCT:2100 Introduction to Financial Accounting and ACCT:2200 Managerial Accounting.

    Students admitted to Tippie who do not meet the requirements for enrolling in major-level courses in Accounting must petition for access.

    Courses and course requirements 

    All accounting major-level courses (ACCT:3100 and above) must be completed at the University of Iowa.


    At a glance

    59 thousand dollars

    Average starting salary for accounting graduates

    Class of 2020
    98 percent graphic

    of Accounting alums employed or enrolled in grad school

    within 6 months of graduation, 2020
    Number Thirteen Image

    CPA pass rate for large U.S. programs

    NASBA, 2019

    Interested in VITA services?

    Our VITA volunteers provide free tax help to taxpayers earning less than $57,000 a year (married taxpayers filing a joint return must have joint income less than $57,000 a year).

    2022 process due to COVID-19: As an alternative to meeting face-to-face, we are using two mostly contact-less alternatives.To request one of these methods, use this link: To learn more before enrolling, visit this page: Getting Started with VITA.

    Want to improve your public speaking skills?

    Newly open, the One Button Studio is the perfect way to practice your presentations and improve your public speaking.

    Reserve the One Button Studio