Applying to the Executive MBA Program
If you are ready to take your skills to the next level, we’re here to guide you through the application process.
Before you apply
Because of our program’s emphasis on the depth and diversity of leadership experience, we encourage you to contact the program director before applying. You can visit in person or connect with us by phone to help you know if the program is right for you. Call or email us to schedule a time to talk.
Our application is 100% online; you’ll be asked to upload these documents as you progress through the application.
- Resume—This document (or equivalent—vitae, professional biography) should summarize your professional history and work experience.
- Transcript(s)—We can make an admissions decision with unofficial copies of your transcripts if you have them. If you don’t, ask your institution(s) to send transcripts directly to Graduate Admissions. We need transcripts from all institutions where you earned a bachelor's degree or higher. If you earned a degree from the University of Iowa, we already have your records; no need to request them.
- Essay—Describe your interest in the Executive MBA Program at the University of Iowa, how this experience will benefit you and/or your sponsoring organization, and how you’ll be a valuable addition and contributor to the class. Please also describe how you work in teams, both as a leader and a member. Upload a Word document or PDF; please limit your response to 2 pages.
- Letter of support from sponsor— This letter should come from your employer to demonstrate their understanding of the time commitments required to complete the Executive MBA Program. This letter doesn't need to address financial support. Self-employed applicants will substitute an additional letter of recommendation instead of this requirement. View a sample letter of support.
- Recommender's contact information— Choose a professional colleague (employer, peer, or business acquaintance) who can support your qualifications (self-employed applicants will select two). Fill in their contact info, and we’ll send the recommender(s) an email with instructions to upload their letter of recommendation. Their letter should describe how they know you (duration and in what capacity) and why they believe you are a good candidate for the Executive MBA Program. View sample letter of recommendation.
Step 2: Fill out the application
Step 3: Interview with the program director
We’ll arrange this meeting with the Executive MBA Program director after we receive your application; it may be in person or by phone, depending on your availability and circumstances.
Step 4: Send your official transcripts
If you used unofficial transcripts in Step 1, official transcripts should be mailed or emailed directly from the institution to:
The University of Iowa
Office of Admissions
107 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242