This is a quick way to "try out" the MBA-PM Program or to get started in classes if you haven't had time to complete the formal application process before classes begin. It allows you to:
- Enroll in the same classes as admitted students
- Earn graduate credit that counts toward your degree upon admission
- Benefit from the same faculty, staff, and level of support as admitted students
PreMBA status is a temporary student status. If you choose this option, you will eventually need to complete the formal admission process, and receive a positive admission decision, in order to continue in the program.
The deadline for PreMBA application submission are:
|Spring 2015||Summer 2015||Fall 2015|
|January 5||May 4||August 10|
Please keep in mind course selection will be more limited as the semester approaches so early applications are encouraged. Applications submitted after the deadline will be considered for the following semester.
- Students complete classes with formally admitted students; there are no PreMBA-only courses.
- University of Iowa graduate credit is earned and credits are applied toward the MBA upon formal admission.
- Provides additional time to prepare for the GMAT while completing courses toward the degree.
Subject to advisor approval, applicants who have earned a graduate degree from an accredited U.S. institution may be exempted from taking the GMAT.
To be considered for PreMBA status, complete the mini-application and upload the following materials along with your application:
Resume: Include educational background with the dates of degrees awarded and employment history with job titles, dates of employment (including month and year), company names, and employment summaries.
U.S. Institutions: An unofficial copy of your academic transcripts from all previous institutions attended (both undergraduate and graduate) is sufficient for PreMBA review. If you are a graduate of the University of Iowa, you do not need to submit your University of Iowa transcript.
(Note: Official transcripts will be required when submitting an application for formal admission. If you choose to send official transcripts now, please ask your U.S. institution to send them to the Office of Admissions, 107 Calvin Hall, Iowa City, IA 52242-1396. If your previous U.S. institution sends official transcripts electronically, the email address for the Office of Admissions is email@example.com.)
Non-U.S. Institutions: You need to submit your official marks sheets (transcripts) and diploma, as well as translated copies if the originals are not in English. The originals are required for review but will be returned to you. To make arrangements with the MBA-PM staff to pick up the documents, deliver them to the Office of Admissions, or personally return them to you, please contact us.
PreMBA materials are reviewed on the same basis as an application for formal admission (professional, postbaccalaureate work experience, demonstrated leadership, and successful academic performance). Candidates are notified by mail of a decision within three weeks after all necessary documents are received. Typically, the review committee expects the following:
- 18 months of postbaccalaureate, professional work experience
- Nontraditional students may have acquired a bachelor degree after beginning professional experience; in these cases, this work experience will be considered.
- Satisfactory cumulative grade-point average—typically a 3.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale)
- Examples of strong work experience and leadership activities as described on the resume
- Review of additional materials on file, including letters of recommendation and GMAT score
Some individuals may be asked to provide additional information, such as a completed GMAT score (to demonstrate academic potential at the graduate level), to obtain additional work experience, to interview with the review committee, or to complete the formal admission process.
- PreMBA course registration begins following that for admitted students. PreMBA students are encouraged to act quickly, given many classes fill early in the registration period.
- PreMBA students may enroll in a maximum of three (3) courses (9 semester hours) over a 12-month period of time.
- The maximum enrollment per semester is three (3) courses with the following conditions:
- Two-course maximum during a 12-week semester
- Two-course maximum during a 10-week summer session
- One-course maximum during intersession
- One- course maximum during winter session
- One-course maximum during a 6-week summer session
- Example 1: Two (2) fall 12-week courses and one (1) intersession course
- Example 2: One (1) fall 12-week course, one (1) winter session, and one (1) spring 12-week course
- Example 3: Two (2) spring 12-week courses and one (1) summer session course
- The first course in PreMBA status must be one of the following: 6N:213 Managerial Economics, 6N:215 Corporate Financial Reporting, 6N:216 Business Analytics, or 6N:225 Managerial Finance.
- PreMBA students must earn a minimum grade of B (3.0 out of 4.0) in each course taken.
- PreMBA students are not classified as admitted by the University of Iowa for loan purposes and are in no way guaranteed formal admission upon application.
If you have any questions about PreMBA status, contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 800-MBA-IOWA (800-622-4692).