This is a quick way to "try out" the Professional MBA program or to get started in classes if you haven't had time to complete the full application process before classes begin. It allows you to:
- Enroll in the same classes as admitted students
- Earn up to 15 hours of graduate credit that count toward your degree upon admission
- Benefit from the same faculty, staff, and level of support as admitted students
PreMBA status is a temporary student status. If you choose this option, you will eventually need to complete the full admission process, and receive a positive admission decision, in order to continue in the program.
The deadlines for PreMBA application submission are:
|April 30, 2016||May 30, 2016||July 30, 2016|
Please keep in mind that course selection will be more limited as the semester approaches, so early applications are encouraged.
- Students complete classes with fully admitted students; there are no PreMBA-only courses.
- University of Iowa graduate credit is earned and credits are applied toward the MBA upon full admission.
- Provides additional time to prepare for the GMAT/GRE while completing courses toward the degree.
Applicants who have earned a graduate degree from an accredited U.S. institution may be waived from taking the GMAT/GRE.
To be considered for PreMBA status, complete the PreMBA Status application and upload the following:
ResumeInclude educational background with the dates of degrees awarded and employment history with job titles, dates of employment (including month and year), company names, and employment summaries.
Academic TranscriptsU.S. Institutions:
An unofficial copy of your academic transcripts from previous institutions attended (both undergraduate and graduate) where you earned a degree is sufficient for PreMBA review. If you are a graduate of the University of Iowa, you do not need to submit your University of Iowa transcript. If you chose to send official transcripts now, please see our Transcript Instructions page for more information.
Unofficial copies or duplicates are sufficient for review of your application for PreMBA status. If approved for PreMBA status, you will need to submit your official marks sheets (transcripts) and diploma, as well as translated copies if the originals are not in English. Approval is contingent upon verification of these official documents. The originals are required for review but will be returned to you. To make arrangements with the Professional MBA staff to pick up the documents, deliver them to the Office of Admissions, or personally return them to you, please contact us.
PreMBA materials are reviewed on the same basis as an application for full admission (professional, post-baccalaureate work experience, demonstrated leadership, and successful academic performance). Candidates are notified by email and/or mail of a decision within three weeks after all necessary documents are received. Typically, the admissions committee expects the following:
- 18 months of post-baccalaureate, professional work experience
- Nontraditional students may have acquired a bachelor's degree after beginning professional experience; in these cases, this work experience will be considered.
- Satisfactory cumulative grade-point average—typically a 3.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale)
- Examples of strong work experience and leadership activities as described on the resume
- Review of additional materials on file, including letters of recommendation and GMAT score
Some individuals may be asked to provide additional information, such as a completed GMAT/GRE score (to demonstrate academic potential at the graduate level), to obtain additional work experience, to interview with the review committee, or to complete the formal admission process.
- PreMBA course registration begins after registration for admitted students. PreMBA students are encouraged to act quickly, given many classes fill up early in the registration period.
- PreMBA students may enroll in a maximum of five (5) courses (15 semester hours) with no time restrictions.*
- One of the five courses taken during PreMBA status must include one of the following: MBA:8160 Managerial Economics, MBA:8140 Corporate Financial Reporting, MBA:8150 Business Analytics, or MBA:8180 Managerial Finance.
- Students may continue in PreMBA status as long as no more than two grades of C+ or lower are earned while in status.**
- PreMBA students are not classified as admitted by the University of Iowa for loan purposes and are in no way guaranteed full admission upon application.
- The maximum enrollment per semester is three (3) courses with the following conditions:
* Credits for the MBA degree must be ten years old or less to be counted toward fulfillment of the degree.
- Two-course maximum during a 12-week semester
- Two-course maximum during a 10-week summer session
- One-course maximum during intersession
- One- course maximum during winter session
- One-course maximum during a 6-week summer session
** PreMBA students are expected to have a cumulative MBA GPA of 3.0 or better to be considered for full admission to the Professional MBA Program. Also note that a student will be placed on probation if, after completing nine or more semester hours of MBA courses, the student's cumulative GPA for graduate courses completed at the University of Iowa falls below 2.75.
If you have any questions about PreMBA status, contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 800-MBA-IOWA (800-622-4692).