May 2017 commencement events
Saturday, May 13, 2017
- 5 p.m. at Carver Hawkeye Arena
- Doors will open at 4 p.m. Graduates should arrive no later than 4:15 p.m. and proceed to check-in to pick up their name cards.
- A reception will be held on the ground floor of the Pappajohn Business Building from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
- View the Arena seating chart for graduates and guests.
The ceremony will be streamed live, and an archival video will be posted shortly after the ceremony concludes. The ceremony also will be broadcast live on UITV (Mediacom cable channel 17 in the Iowa City area).
December 2017 commencement events
Saturday, December 16, 2017
- 1 p.m. at Hancher Auditorium
- Doors will open at 12 p.m. Graduates should arrive no later than 12:15 p.m. and proceed to the check-in to pick up their name cards.
- A reception will follow the ceremony.
Degree Application Deadlines
- May graduates: February 24, 2017
- August graduates: June 9, 2017*
- December graduates: tbd
* There is no summer ceremony. Students may participate in the May or December ceremony by completing the appropriate form under Participating in an early/late commencement ceremony below.
Information for graduates
Tickets for the commencement ceremony are not required.
Students may request to participate in a commencement ceremony either before or after the semester in which they complete their degree requirements. Please complete the appropriate form at least three weeks prior to the ceremony in which you would like to participate. Your request will then be reviewed by commencement planning staff:
- Request to participate EARLY. (Choose this option if you still have courses to complete after the commencement ceremony.)
- Request to participate LATE. (Choose this option if the commencement ceremony that corresponded with your final semester has already passed.)
All graduates must wear a cap and gown, which will be available at the University Bookstore, Iowa Memorial Union, during regular business hours, three weeks before the ceremony. Men are expected to wear shirts and ties; jackets are not required. Women are advised to avoid high heels, because floors may be slippery in the lobby when crossing the stage. Flowers should not be worn with caps and gowns or carried into the auditorium.
Beta Gamma Sigma members and Tippie Honors graduates will wear honors cords with their academic attire. Cords can be picked up in the Undergraduate Program Office, C140 PBB.
Traditional announcements may be purchased at the Levitt Center from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. on weekdays. New and graduating senior members of the Alumni Association receive 10 free announcements—call 319-335-3294 to join.
You may also purchase personalized announcements specifically designed with the University of Iowa's school crest and customized with your name, degree, major, time, date, and place of the ceremony.
May ceremony details
At 4:30 p.m., you'll be asked to line up for the processional with students in your section of the alphabet. The ceremony will begin with the processional promptly at 5:00 p.m. where Tippie marshals will lead you to your seat.
The ceremony begins with a welcome and introduction of the platform, comments from an invited speaker, and conferral of degrees. Next, the marshals will direct graduates to come to the stage one row at a time and you will hand your name card to a college representative who will read your name, then proceed across the stage to shake hands with officials, and exit the stage.
At the conclusion of the ceremony, your marshal will dismiss each row in an orderly manner. You will proceed out of the auditorium and rejoin your guests in the lobby.
Professional photographers will be taking two photos of each candidate at the ceremonies: a more formal "posed" photo taken prior to being recognized on stage and a "candid" photo taken while shaking hands with a university official.
To receive a complimentary proof (with no obligation to purchase), students must complete the address information on the back of the name card, which is filled out when purchasing their cap and gown. This photo name card will be handed to the reader as each student is recognized on stage. University Book Store personnel will complete this information for mail-in orders. Students should check for accuracy. Complimentary proofs will be mailed and emailed to the graduates within 10 days of the ceremony.
You will receive a complimentary diploma cover the day of the ceremony. Diplomas will be mailed to your residing address after a final audit confirms that all requirements have been met. Participation in the ceremony is not a validation of graduation.