Advance your career
Earning your MBA is about investing in and managing the direction your career takes. We want to help you reach the next level—that's why the Professional MBA Career Management team offers resources and services to help. Don't let that next opportunity to move up the ladder pass you by.
Check out the Iowa MBA Career Guide, which gets you started on understanding how to manage your career now that you're earning an MBA, including the steps and preparation.
Maybe you've identified a goal—a promotion, a new job, changing careers altogether, or becoming a better networker. Perhaps you're not sure what your next goal should be. Iowa MBA's Career Management can help. Contact us to be connected with a coach who can guide you on next steps to create or achieve your career goals.
Schedule career advising
- We're on site at all three locations throughout the academic year. See schedule for upcoming advising sessions.
- Call 319-335-0556 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
When something comes naturally, it doesn't come to mind very often. But emphasizing your strengths is important on your resume and in your pitch to employers, whether it's your current employer (for a promotion) or a job interview. The Career Leader assessment identifies strengths and areas for opportunity, so you know what to emphasize and where to focus your efforts for improvement. Pointing out what you do better than the competition will help to set you apart from the rest.
Please email email@example.com to access the Harvard Career Leader (at no cost).
Resume and cover letter workshops
Landing an important job interview is difficult with a subpar cover letter and resume. At our workshops, we'll give you tools to make your cover letters sing and your resume shine. We offer workshops throughout the year at all three locations. Check the calendar for an upcoming workshop near you.
Career management webinar series
Gain some useful knowledge from our webinars to stay ahead of the competition:
Leveraging Your MBA: Move On or Move Up
Whether you are happy where you are or are thinking of your future, let us help you leverage your MBA. Learn the strategies of managing your career, be proactive in your strategic plan, and finally be able to answer the question, "What will you do with that MBA once you graduate?"
Using Your Brand for Strategic Success
Focusing on the knowledge of your value proposition, take a look at your personal brand and find out what makes you unique. Join us to discover how to create a brand, manage your brand, update it, and utilize it in your current and future roles. Find success by solidifying and owning what sets you apart from the competition.
Every good marketer knows their customer. The same holds true for networking: it's all about the other person. Learn how to apply the 5 Marketing P's to successful networking, the strategy behind planning for successful networking events, and how to utilize the strength of your personality.
Putting It All Together
Recent studies show that 85% of jobs are not posted. Someone in your network could ask you for a cover letter and resume tomorrow for a job that is a perfect fit—are you ready? When was the last time you updated your resume? Does your LinkedIn profile reflect your brand? Learn how to update your marketing materials for potential offers.
University of Iowa events
Go beyond MBA-specific events to network and expand your perspective as a professional. The University of Iowa has opportunities around the country and the world available to you:
The MBAFocus online recruiting system is an important part of your toolkit for career management. Use it to look up alumni by company and browse MBA job listings. First-time users need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to activate your account. You'll have access to job-search tools including:
- Beyond B-School—Learn how to strengthen your LinkedIn profile writing, build your brand, and more.
- GoingGlobal—Search through a comprehensive database of job listings.
- Interview Stream—Prepare for a multimedia interview by recording and critiquing your current abilities.
- Career Shift—Streamline and manage your job search in a systematic way.
- Career Insider—Determine a match between your skills and employer opportunities through career and industry insights.
Resume and cover-letter writing
Use our templates and samples to sharpen your application materials:
- Professional MBA resume template: focuses on experience and can be adapted to any background.
- Traditional resume samples (1 page or 2 pages): only professionals with 8+ years experience use 2 pages.
- Functional resume sample: best for candidates transitioning from one field to another or re-entering the workplace.
- Curriculum vitae sample: best for professional experience focused on education or research.
- Cover-letter sample: can be adapted to accompany a resume, letter of inquiry, or professional portfolio.
- LinkedIn profile guide: learn how to create, refine, and enhance the content of your profile.
- Power verb list: use this extensive list to build powerful and effective resume bullet points.