Become an Engagement Coordinator
Tippie Engagement Coordinators assist Undergraduate Program Office (UPO) staff in raising awareness about the needs of students from underrepresented backgrounds, including but not limited to: first generation, marginalized, and low-income students. Engagement Coordinators take on specific roles with BizEdge, Black in Business, or other duties as assigned. Tippie Engagement Coordinators also provide feedback and recommendations to the UPO as it strives to:
- foster an inclusive environment where everyone feels welcomed and supported
- attract and retain a diverse and talented student body and staff
- facilitate timely and equitable degree progress within a rigorous curriculum
- provide challenging out-of-class experiential learning opportunities.
The role of an Engagement Coordinator
- Create opportunities for students from underrepresented backgrounds to interact and engage with each other
- Advocate and create safe spaces for students in these populations
- Foster a smooth transition for students from underrepresented backgrounds—both to Tippie and to the University of Iowa
- Serve as an advocate for the unique needs of students from underrepresented backgrounds (listen to concerns and assist in solving problems)
- Provide resources and information to students from underrepresented backgrounds to succeed at Tippie
Engagement Coordinators who focus on BizEdge will support Tippie staff and faculty with the BizEdge Mentoring Program. This position reports to the respective UPO assigned supervisor. Engagement Coordinators who focus on Black in Business will assist with planning and executing events for the Black in Business Series. This position reports to the respective UPO assigned supervisor.
All Engagement Coordinators are encouraged to be creative and take initiative in implementing continuous improvement methods and tactics to further the development of programs. Recruitment for ambassadors happens in the spring for year-long positions.
Hometown: Schaumberg, IL
Majors: Finance and Business Analytics Information Systems (BAIS) with a Certificate in International Business
Involved in: BizEdge (Coordinator), Tippie Thrive, Admission Panelist, Study Abroad Campus Ambassador, Dance Marathon (Canning Chair, Finance), Student Advancement Network (VP of Events), Gateway, Multicultural Business Student Associate, OnIowa! Peer Mentor for Direct Admit (BUS:1200)
Hometown: Iowa City, IA
Major: Pre-business, Entrepreneurial Management Certificate
Involved in: BizEdge Mentoring Program, Tippie Gateway, Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc.
Hometown: Jefferson, Iowa
Majors: Finance and Economics, French minor, International Business Certificate
Involved in: BizEdge Mentoring Program, Alpha Kappa Psi Business Fraternity, Women in Business
Hometown: Waukee, IA
Involved in: Delta Sigma Pi business fraternity, Tippie Business Honor Society, Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Tippie Gateway peer mentor, Beta Gamma Sigma
Hometown: Villa Park, IL
Major: Marketing with Event Management Certificate
Involved in: BizEdge Mentoring Program, Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc., Tippie Gateway Mentoring Program, Programming Assistant at the Latino Native American Cultural Center, Multicultural Business Student Association, Association of Latinos Moving Ahead