Add our expertise to your leadership development strategy
The Tippie Leadership Collaborative is the University of Iowa’s resource hub for companies and non-profits looking for management expertise. We're home to some of the most sought-after experts in the areas of leadership, team development, employee engagement, diversity and inclusion, and talent management. Our experts share that knowledge through speaking engagements, executive education programs, and research partnerships.
You may have seen them featured in national media outlets like the TODAY show, National Public Radio, The Wall Street Journal, and USA Today. Get in touch with us to learn more about what our experts can contribute to your organization.
Questions we can help you answer
Our experts have decades of experience collaborating with organizations to study team building, leadership, employee engagement, talent management, and other critical management issues. Here are just a few examples of questions our researchers and educators can help you solve:
- How can we design work and create cultures to maximize employee engagement?
- How can we empower our employees to speak up, take ownership, and develop innovative solutions?
- How can we motivate our employees to new levels of high performance without burning them out?
- How do we improve the quality of applicants who apply to our company?
- What can we do to better retain our top talent and reduce turnover in the organization?
- How can we identify future leaders in the organization and give them the proper support?
- How can we help remote team members stay connected and engaged?
- What can we do to influence our employees toward a common vision and purpose?
- What are some effective ways of managing change and uncertainty in our organization?
- How can our leaders and the organization as a whole create a more inclusive environment?
- How do we retain a diverse pool of talent, especially of women and underrepresented minorities?
- How can we maximize both diversity and performance in the organization?
Resources for your business to conquer its challenges
We’re here to share our knowledge through collaboration, engagement, and teaching. We offer several opportunities for you to tap into our expertise:
Let us help you design a development experience that challenges and excites your future leaders. Our executive education programs range from half-day workshops to year-long programming in topics like organizational leadership, change management, team building, and more.
Tippie faculty have a passion for teaching that extends beyond the walls of the Pappajohn Business Building. Invite our internationally recognized thought leaders to share their knowledge and expertise with your leaders and staff—either in-person or virtually.
"We wanted to give our high-potential employees a very prestigious and impactful leadership opportunity.”
- John Deere
- MTD Products
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Panda Restaurant Group
- Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
- U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs
- The Mayo Clinic
- Mercy Medical Center
- HNI Corporation
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs wanted to improve its patient care while streamlining service. They also wanted to test if new modifications met their goals, so they began working with Greg Stewart, professor of management and entrepreneurship and the Mary H. Bell Chair in Leadership.
Together, they tested to see if health care delivery could be improved when individual patients are assigned long-term, interdisciplinary teams of coordinated health care professionals, as opposed to a random selection of different doctors, nurses, and clerks for each visit.
In the end, the VA came away with a thorough study—with design, training, and analysis developed in collaboration with Stewart—demonstrating that assigned teams were able to know and serve their patients better.
This ultimately resulted in higher quality health care for patients, higher satisfaction ratings, and lower costs due to fewer emergency room visits and hospital admissions.
“Why Capable People are Reluctant to Lead.”
Dr. Jennifer Nahrgang gave a presentation to a local chapter of the Association of Talent Development on her research around “Why Capable People are Reluctant to Lead.” Her facilitation style was the perfect blend of presenting content and encouraging attendees to actively participate in the learning experience.
Members deeply appreciated the opportunity to learn about the topic at hand, as well as about other resources and opportunities available through the Tippie Leadership Collaborative.
"When people think of Tippie, they tend to focus on the degree programs we offer for undergraduate and graduate students. But we don’t want our impact to stop there. We envision a 'Tippie without walls' where we provide lifelong learning opportunities for people and organizations all over the state, nation, and world."