Jump start your risk management career
Risk is an essential part of the business world. Every investment can lead to high returns or substantial losses. Finding a cost-efficient solution for potential losses—that's risk management.
When many firms or individuals face similar risk exposures, it's efficient to pool the risks together. Insurance companies provide a pooling mechanism.
While large firms have their own risk management department, smaller firms hire risk management consultants, brokers, or insurance agents to give them advice. Insurance companies need actuaries for price calculations, underwriters to analyze clients’ risks and to negotiate deals, claims adjusters to manage loss events, asset managers, marketing experts, accountants, and general managers to run the company.
Tippie’s Risk Management and Insurance major prepares you to fill roles in the industry in Iowa and beyond. Nearly 140 insurance companies are located in Iowa, and less than 60 universities in the country offer a risk management and insurance program.
Regardless of your chosen major, with the Vaughan Institute’s Certificate in Risk Management and Insurance you will be far ahead of your competition and ready for a rewarding career in the risk management and insurance (RMI) industry or wherever else you choose.
Vaughan goes further
- Gamma lota Sigma student org
- Over $30,000 in scholarships awarded to Vaughan students each academic year
- Exclusive networking events with industry professionals like the Spring Mixer, Spring Gala, and the Fall Soirée dinner
- Industry mentor program
- Student resume book for recruiters
- Student newsletter with job and internship announcements
- A career fair that includes RMI students—Actuarial Science, Insurance and Risk Management Career Fair
- Graduates hired by over 150 employers from 15 different industries in 24 states and four countries
- Professional Development opportunities such as the yearly NAPSLO conference, annual RIMS conference, and the GIS national conference
- Annual Vaughan Institute Golf Outing and Fundraiser
How we help recruiters
- We include job ads in our student newsletter
- The online student resume book is available September through April and updated each September and February
- The Actuarial Science, Insurance & Risk Management Job and Internship Fair in the fall is a great event to meet our students
As an alumnus, there are many ways to stay involved with the Vaughan Institute, from speaking, mentoring, and networking to serving on a board or giving. Get involved! To get started, contact us.
Speaker series and the mentor program are critical parts of the learning experience for Vaughan students. Industry mentors are matched with students for an academic year based on their career aspirations. Mentors are expected to spend 2–3 hours a month interacting with their student and attend three on-campus events. Speakers are invited to present at Gamma Iota Sigma events, in classes, and at other program functions.
The Vaughan Institute Advisory Board comprises senior industry leaders, and the Young Alumni Board includes up-and-coming early career professionals in RMI. Both provide valuable guidance and support the institute. The LinkedIn group is one way to stay connected, along with regular networking receptions organized by alumni in Des Moines.
Support the Vaughan Institute
The Vaughan Institute is funded solely by gifts and annual donations. In order for the program to continue providing a nurturing learning environment and enrichment activities, your support is needed and appreciated.
The Vaughan Institute is proud to have been designated a Global Center of Insurance Excellence (GCIE). This distinction recognizes the quality of education students in our program receive, the dedication of our faculty, and the power of a curriculum built on fundamentals and experiential learning.
Being identified by A.M. Best's Review as one of the 20 leading risk management and insurance programs is a recognition that influences a University of Iowa student’s education while indirectly controlling their experience finding a career after college. The award influences first- and second-year students to understand and embrace what this type of education does for their resume. Faculty dedication to course objectives, and using experiential learning as a catalyst for knowledge retention, are the key to build a first-class education. Tippie faculty leverage the thirst for knowledge that started with Dr. Emmett Vaughan to make the University of Iowa a prestigious university for insurance education. With 29 headquartered insurance companies in the State of Iowa, this program is the future of insurance in this state. The Vaughan Institute builds on past excellence to become Top 20 candidate and to provide a top-tier education at a top-tier institution.