Options are a very good thing
For working professionals, flexibility is everything. So we've put you in control of your Iowa MBA experience.
The program can be completed fully online or, if you're in Iowa near Des Moines, you can take a mix of online and in-person courses.
Both online and in-person courses typically include a combination of recorded lectures and a 2-hour live session each week. Live sessions start between 6:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., no Fridays or weekends. Most MBA courses are 8-weeks, but a few condensed options are available throughout the year. When you register for courses, you'll know the live session times for every course, so you can choose classes that work best for you each semester.
Set aside some "you" time
For each 8-week course, you should plan on at least 10-12 hours per week of study and coursework. This will vary weekly depending on exams, presentations, team assignments, and your previous experience with the subject.
“With little kids, I struggled with timing my MBA. In Iowa’s program, I’m able to organize my schedule so that it makes sense from a home-life and work perspective.”
We change up which elective courses are offered throughout the year. Here’s a sample of recent electives we’ve offered:
Finance & Accounting
- Financial Statement Analysis and Forecasting
- Portfolio Management
- Real Estate Finance & Investments
- Corporate Investment & Finance Decisions
- Wealth Management
- Strategic Cost Analysis
- Corporate Financial Strategy
- Social Media Marketing
- Marketing Analytics
- Marketing Communication & Promotions
- Product & Pricing Management
- Digital Marketing Insights, Strategies & Applications
- Data Programming in R
- Data Programming in Python
- Data Management & Visual Analytics
- Advanced Analytics
- Data Leadership & Management
- Text Analytics
- Data Science
- Agile Project Management
- Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- Strategic Management of Technology & Innovation
- Design Thinking
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- Dynamics of Negotiations
- Leadership & Personal Development
- Project Management
- Managing & Preventing Conflict
- Maximizing Team Performance
- Strategic Management of Change
- Managing Employee Performance
- Inclusive Leadership
- Law & Ethics
- Corporate Social Responsibility & Sustainability
Course waivers and transfer credit
Students who have completed significant undergraduate coursework in one content area and meet the requirements may be eligible to waive the core course in that area. Additionally, some core courses may also be waived for students who have successfully passed the CPA or level 1 of the CFA.
If you have earned previous graduate credit, you can submit this information for transfer review after program acceptance.
To learn how waivers or transfer credit would impact your plan of study, talk with your advisor.
Need help getting support for your MBA?
Share our Employer Guide with your boss.