Funding & financial aid
All of our PhD programs provide funding. The stipend is typically compensation for a teaching or research assistantship position. High-potential candidates may be chosen for additional scholarships or fellowships.
You’ll be automatically considered for funding when you apply. Details on the package awarded to you will be provided with your admissions offer.
Basic funding package
We offer full funding to virtually all admitted students, which includes the following:
- 100% covered tuition cost and fees
- A minimum 9-month stipend (approximately $18,800, with annual adjustments)
- Comprehensive health insurance plan (covered at 90% for the student and 70% for spouse and dependents)
In addition, certain departments may offer other benefits, such as:
- Departmental scholarships to supplement the living stipend
- Summer fellowships, teaching or research appointments, or other scholarships
- Funding for research presentations at major conferences
- Paid time off to pursue independent research
- Paid professional membership dues
In general, you’ll be guaranteed four years of financial support. Your funding package may vary from year to year (for example, you may receive extra funding after completing comprehensive exams). Funding for year five is typically granted provided you’re making progress toward completing your degree.
We recognize that coming to Tippie for your PhD may involve your family, including a spouse and/or children. We offer an extremely generous health insurance plan to PhD students and their families, with limited out-of-pocket costs to students. See details.
Estimated health insurance premiums
This plan is subsidized 90% by the university. Students pay 10% of the premium, approximately $16 to $27 per month. Dental coverage is available for $4 per month.
This plan is subsidized 70% by the university. Students pay 30% of the premium amount, approximately $400 to $450 per month. Dental coverage is available for $24 per month.