At the Vaughan Institute, we strive to provide our students with opportunities not available elsewhere. Apply for one of our many scholarships, build your network with a summer internship, attend one of our networking events, join our risk management and insurance (RMI) student org, participate in the Industry Mentor Program, or include your resume in our student resume book. We distribute announcements about upcoming events, scholarships, and job openings via our student newsletter.
Global Center of Insurance Excellence
The Vaughan Institute is proud to have been designated a Global Center of Insurance Excellence (GCIE). This designation recognizes the quality of education students in our program receive, the dedication of our faculty, and the power of a curriculum built on fundamentals and experiential learning.
We award scholarships to those actively pursuing the RMI Certificate. Over $30,000 in scholarships is awarded to Vaughan students each academic year. Most awards range from $1,000–$2,500. Some endowed scholarships are processed through the Undergraduate Program Office. Announcements regarding all other scholarships are distributed via the student newsletter and processed in the Vaughan Institute or by the sponsoring organization directly.
Applications must be submitted to the Vaughan Institute office (S230B PBB) by midnight on February 12.
We strongly encourage our students to take advantage of interning within the industry. Internships help give you a better understanding of RMI career paths, while expanding your network. Bonus: Most RMI internships are paid and often offer assistance with housing.
Check out a few companies that have hired our RMI students following an internship:
- AEGON USA (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- Allied/Nationwide (Des Moines, IA)
- Arthur J. Gallagher (West Des Moines, IA)
- Cigna Group Insurance (Overland Park, KS)
- Continental Western (West Des Moines, IA)
- The Dana Company (West Des Moines, IA)
- EMC Insurance (Des Moines, IA)
- Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance (Grinnell, IA)
- Holmes Murphy and Associates (Des Moines, IA)
- Independent Insurance Agents of Iowa (Des Moines, IA)
- Indiana Insurance (Liberty Mutual–Des Moines, IA)
- Iowa Insurance Division (Des Moines, IA)
- Millhiser Smith Agency (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- The Principal (Des Moines, IA)
- State Farm Insurance Company (various locations)
- TrueNorth Companies (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- United Fire Group (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- Swiss Re (London)
Industry Mentor Program
The Industry Mentor Program is not a peer mentoring program—it's your chance to prepare for your future career by having a mentor who is a professional currently working in the industry. Mentors are recruited from the local chapter of the Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS), Vaughan Institute alumni, and more.
Who can apply?
Students working toward the Risk Management and Insurance Certificate may apply to the mentoring program. You must also have at least two semesters remaining in college (fall and spring) to participate in the program.
Applications are reviewed by a committee of mentors and Vaughan Institute administrators. Students will be chosen based on the quality of their application, transcript, essay (if required), communication skills, and resume. In some cases, the committee may invite a student to interview.
You'll spend 2–4 hours per month (October through April) on required and optional activities. You're required to attend all group events unless you have a class conflict.
- Take the first step by contacting your mentor and arrange a meeting to introduce yourself as soon as you learn the name of your mentor.
- Participate in at least three individual meetings/discussions/phone mentoring sessions with your mentor before the end of the academic year. Activities may be planned at your discretion—yours and your mentor's.
- Complete activity reviews and the final program evaluation.
Student resume book
If you are looking for a job or internship after graduation, the RMI student resume book puts your resume in front of many corporate partners and provides you with great visibility to interested employers. Students actively pursuing the RMI Certificate are eligible to submit their resume.
- Please have your resume reviewed by a career advisor in the Pomerantz Career Center before uploading.
- Enter your profile and upload your resume to the resume book.
- If you are unable to upload your resume, please contact the Vaughan Institute.
- If you find a job or internship, please request that your resume be removed from the resume book.