Applying as an international student

Important information for students outside the U.S.

Due to capacity constraints, the Iowa Online MBA program has limited capacity for international students (defined as non-U.S. citizens/permanent residents). If you are a non-U.S. citizen living outside the United States we will not be able to consider your application for admission. This restriction may be modified or lifted for future semesters as we expand capacity.

Guidelines for international students applying to the Online MBA are as follows:

Undergraduate degree

You must hold either a U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.

If you are admitted, the Office of International Admissions requires you to submit your official marks sheets (transcripts) and diploma, as well as a translated copy if the original is not in English. The originals will be needed for review, but will be returned to you. 

English language requirement

TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for international applicants. You can get an English language test waiver if:

  • You are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
  • You were educated in English for a previously earned degree (undergraduate or graduate). You must provide documents or other proof of this from your institution.
  • You complete an admissions interview with a program representative.

English Language Minimum Scores

iBT: 100 Minimum total score: 7.0
PBT: 600 Minimum sub score: 6.0

 *All IELTS test takers will be required to take the on-campus English Proficiency Evaluation.

Reporting your score

TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for two years. Apply before your scores expire. You can apply with an unofficial score report; if admitted, you’ll need to order an official TOEFL or IELTS score report and have it sent to the University of Iowa. Our institution code is 6681.

Health insurance requirement

International students located in the United States must have health insurance to attend the University of Iowa. You can submit proof of coverage through the MyUI student information portal after you’re admitted. If you're studying outside the U.S., there's no need to provide proof of health insurance.


Fully online U.S.-based degree programs at the University of Iowa don't require a visa. We do not issue F-1 (student) visas for our students. The most common type of visa for our students is an H-1B, but different types are also eligible for admission.

Location limitations

Due to firewalls or government restrictions that affect the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS), we are unable to admit students who will be studying in China, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, and the region of Crimea.