In general, you don't need to have taken business courses ahead of time, and you can start in any semester. (The Finance Certificate is an exception to this.)
An entrance exam (GMAT or GRE) is not required for professional certificate students.
There is a $40 application fee. The fee is non-refundable and can be paid by credit card only. We accept Visa, Mastercard, and Discover cards.
You'll need to meet all of these criteria in order to be considered for admission to one of our Professional Certificate programs.
- A bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA above the minimum
- Business Analytics and Business Fundamentals: 2.5 GPA or higher
- Finance, Innovation, Marketing, and Leadership: 3.0 GPA or higher
- The required months of work experience (see below). This is defined as full-time work experience gained after earning your bachelor's degree. You should be fully employed when you apply; exceptions may be made if you're transitioning employment.
- Business Analytics and Business Fundamentals Certificates: 12 months minimum.
- Finance, Leadership, and Marketing: 18 months minimum. The 18 months minimum work experience for the Leadership Certificate will be waived for current UI Pharmacy students.
- Innovation Certificate: If you are a current University of Iowa degree-seeking graduate student, no work experience is required. If you are not a current University of Iowa graduate student, 18 months is required.
Because our certificates are classified as non-degree and part-time, the university cannot sponsor international students for F-1 student visas or J-1 visas. I-20 or DS-2019 documents will not be provided.
Earning multiple certificates
You can earn more than one certificate, and can even enroll in more than one certificate program at a time. You'll need a 3.0 GPA or better to be awarded the certificate.