Hawkinson Institute of Business Finance
The Hawkinson Institute is Tippie’s undergraduate investment banking program. The institute was created to prepare high-potential Tippie students for demanding, high-profile positions in banking, sales and trading, and related sectors. The program provides an exceptional launching pad for future careers in private equity, hedge funds, venture investing, and other asset management arenas as well as corporate finance and strategy roles at established and startup companies.
Each year, approximately 20 top undergraduate students are chosen to be Hawkinson Scholars. They are selected on the basis of academic performance, leadership, professional potential, and interpersonal skills. We work with these students to develop the industry knowledge, technical skills, network, and internship experience that allows them to compete successfully with top students from around the nation for coveted jobs in investment banking.
The Hawkinson value proposition
100% of Hawkinson Scholars graduate with full-time job offers. More importantly, at least 95% of Hawkinson third-year students who go through the investment banking recruitment process land banking internships after their third year—the key entry point for careers in the industry. The Hawkinson program helps these already strong students realize their professional goals by:
- Creating a cohesive team of ambitious, talented, highly motivated students with interest in the industry
- Providing an extensive alumni network across the financial services sector
- Developing soft skills to enable students to shine both in high-pressure interview settings and on the job
- Facilitating access to opportunities at top bulge bracket and middle market banks
- Supplementing Krause Fund coursework with presentations on M&A, capital raising, and other topics by bankers in a closed-class format
How we help recruiters
We make it easy for firms to find the very best Iowa students.
- We provide recruiters with a prescreened set of resumes from top business students.
- Firms can utilize the recruiting process (on-campus, phone screens, video interviews, etc.) that works best for them.
- For firms that choose to do on-campus interviews, we help coordinate logistics.
- The weekly Hawkinson class provides a forum for bankers to interact with students while providing value-added industry presentations.
- We strive to know our bank clients so we can help match firms with the right students.
Stay involved with the Hawkinson Institute and join our LinkedIn network.
The Friday afternoon Hawkinson Seminar provides an opportunity for students to learn from seasoned professionals who work in banking, private equity, and the financial markets every day. They also provide a venue for bankers to meet prospective hires. If you’d like to share your knowledge and experience with a class of eager, inquisitive students, please don’t hesitate to reach out.
Hawkinson and Iowa alumni are the linchpin of the Hawkinson program, playing an integral role in the recruitment and hiring of our students. If you’re active in banking, asset management, corporate finance, or related areas and would like to help a current Hawkeye follow in your footsteps, we would love to discuss recruiting opportunities with you.
The Hawkinson Institute is funded solely by endowed gifts and annual donations. The generosity of our alumni enables us to provide the cutting-edge programming and educational opportunities that keep our students competitive nationally. Your support will help to launch a career most students can only dream of. Donate to Hawkinson.
The institute is named for H. John Hawkinson, a 1936 graduate of the University of Iowa's College of Business. Hawkinson enjoyed a 40+ year career in the financial services industry, ultimately serving as president of Kemper Financial Services, then one of the country’s largest investment management firms. Hawkinson also served as a director of more than a dozen public corporations in the energy and industrial sectors.
The institute benefits today from the generous support of Keith Cook and Sharon Kress, former colleagues of Hawkinson, as well as members of the Hawkinson family.
2015–2016 scholars and their initial placements
- Faisal Alabsi—PwC (CMAAS), Chicago
- Taylor Beguhn—BofA Merrill Lynch, New York
- Sung Min Cho—BofA Merrill Lynch, Palo Alto
- Hannah Credille—PwC (CMAAS), Chicago
- Caleb Crosbie—Credit Suisse, San Francisco
- Jake Luerkins—Lincoln International, Chicago
- Emily Miller—William Blair, San Fransisco
- Adam Millers—Moelis, Chicago
- Joe Snyder—Aegon, Cedar Rapids
- Brad Stimple—BMO, Chicago
- Ryan Voves—Lincoln International, Chicago
- Katelyn Wheeldon—PwC (CMAAS), Chicago
2014–2015 scholars and their initial placements
- Lindsey Bunch—Lincoln International, Chicago
- Jonathan De Jesus—JP Morgan, New York
- Tyler Dolan—Lincoln International, Chicago
- Imran Hasan—Barclays, New York
- Dylan Hochstetler—PwC, Chicago
- Zhendong Jin—PwC, Chicago
- Michael Korobov—Houlihan Lokey, Chicago
- Nick Melrose—JBG Companies, Washington, DC
- Maddison Miller—St. Charles Capital/KPMG, Denver
- Sean Riordan—BofA Merril Lynch, Chicago
- Kyle Schroeder—BofA Merril Lynch, Chicago
- Greg Touzani—Morgan Stanley, New York
- Eric Welter—Lazard, Chicago
- Danny Zigman—Deloitte, Chicago
2013–2014 scholars and their initial placements
- Jordan Brauns—Iowa Farm Business Association, IA
- Tom Carroll—Deloitte, Chicago
- Emily Caseyl—Goldman Sachs, Chicago
- Skaaren Cosse—Goldman Sachs, New York
- Ryan Crabtree—GE Capital, Chicago
- Dalton Friedhoff—PwC, New York
- Jerry Gao—Houlihan Loke, Chicago
- Ryan Gean—Barclays, New York
- Zach Halstead—Aegon, Cedar Rapids
- Lee Henely—BofA Merrill Lynch, Palo Alto
- Heju (Helen) Jiang—Clover Network, Mountain View, CA
- Yifan Lai—Goldman Sachs, New York
- Ding Li—PwC, Houston
- Monica Li—PineBridge Investments, New York
- Dong Mao—Sina Weibo, New York
- Keane Nguyen-Ba—Milliman, Chicago
- Scott Russell—Lazard, Minneapolis
- Michael Waldron—McGladrey, Chicago
- Qianhao Wu—PwC, Houston
- Ling Xie—Goldman Sachs, Salt Lake City
- Jackson Yancey—William Blair, San Franciso
- Lisa Zaiceva—Ernst & Young, Chicago