Become a Tippie student
University of Iowa students who plan to major in business often begin as a student in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences with a major of prebusiness.
Most apply to Tippie around the start of their second year. This is done through the Change of College Application in MyUI. If you’re exploring business for the first time and changing majors, talk with your academic advisor about how to prep for admission to Tippie.
Standard admission requirements
Current UI students need to meet these criteria to be considered for standard admission to Tippie:
- At least 12 semester hours of UI credit
- A GPA of at least 2.75 prerequisite, UI, and cumulative (accounting requires a 3.0 UI and cumulative GPA)
- A grade of C or better in all of these:
- MATH:1380 Calculus and Matrix Algebra for Business
- STAT:1030 Statistics for Business
- ECON:1100 Principles of Microeconomics
- ACCT:2100 Introduction to Financial Accounting
- No instances of college academic misconduct
Additional accounting requirements
To pursue a major in accounting, you must first be admitted to the Tippie College of Business. In addition, you must also meet the following criteria to declare a major in accounting:
- GPA of 3.0 UI and cumulative
- A 2.67 (B-) average in ACCT:2100 Introduction to Financial Accounting and ACCT:2200 Managerial Accounting
- A passing score on the writing skills assessment
When to apply
Most prebusiness majors apply to Tippie around the start of their second year.
You need to have met the admissions requirements by the end of the semester when you apply; summer or winter semester courses can’t be used to meet requirements. If you have requirements left to complete in summer, you’ll need to apply to Tippie for spring semester of the following year.
|To be admitted in||Apply before||Complete requirements by|
|Fall 2017||May 1, 2017||End of spring semester|
|Spring 2018||December 1, 2017||End of fall semester|
Important information for applicants
- Applications can be submitted until midnight on the day of the deadline, but we recommend you apply well before that so we can assist you with questions or problems.
- Official transcripts from other institutions must be in the Office of Admissions by June 15 for fall applicants and January 10 for spring applicants.
- If you miss the application deadline, see your advisor in the Tippie College of Business undergraduate program office. If you're not advised by Tippie, stop by during our drop-in hours.
Appeal an admissions decision
Current University of Iowa students who have applied and been denied admission to Tippie may appeal their admissions decision. Only students denied Standard Admission may appeal the decision. Documentation to support an appeal must be sent directly to the Undergraduate Program Office at the address provided on the appeal form. Please contact the Undergraduate Program Office at 319-335-1037 if you have questions or need more information about the appeal process.